[52] Strawberries and Oranges

I ran my fingers through my hair to loosen it up and smooth the flyaway strands as I walked out of my room. I had only made it a few steps before I stopped, squinting in confusion.

Dream was leaning back in one of the dining chairs bouncing his leg as the chair balanced on its two back legs. He was sharpening a sword, his eyes narrowed in concentration.

Which, I realized, was strange because he had sharpened all his weapons just yesterday.

I slowly advanced towards the kitchen, and my eye immediately caught on a few dozen shiny, golden apples and a couple lumped shapes of netherite ingots.

It didn't take me long at all to piece it all together.

I had heard Dream moving around late last night, and I vaguely remembered hearing the front door opening. He must have been gathering all this stuff—and it could have taken ages.

"How long have you been awake?" I asked him as I stood in the kitchen.

He looked up, startled, wobbling a bit in his chair before he set it back down on its four legs. His eyes looked heavy, the color dim.

"Oh—" his wrist lifted to rub his eye. "Uh, the whole night I guess." He gave a weak laugh.

My eyes widened. "The whole night? Dream, you didn't have to do all this now—"

"No, no it's fine. I wouldn't have been able to sleep well anyway."

A gave him a concerned look as I sighed. "Maybe you should take a break."

"No look, look," He stood up from his chair, setting down the sharpening tool and lifting the sword. "I sharpened your sword, and, and—" he moved to the couch, where a set of armor was laid out. I realized it was my armor. "Your armor is completely maxed, and—" he gestured towards the apples and ingots. "You can have some of the stuff I've been gathering for Tommy. I'm planning on getting extra."

My gaze traveled over each object slowly. The sword, the armor, the piles of resources. It was a lot. My eyes landed back on Dream. He had worked through the night to get all this stuff. I was nearly speechless.

"Wow, I—" I looked around again, at everything he had done. "Thank you—Um...that's very nice of you. You really didn't have to do all this now, though."

He shoved his hands in his pockets, drawing a heavy breath as he surveyed his work as well. "Yeah, well...it's the least I can do, right? Um—" his brows creased and he looked around like he had forgotten something. "I have something—a surprise for you, actually."

"A surprise?"

"Yeah, but we're going outside for it."

I was still in my pajamas, so with my curiosity piqued, I got ready for the day as quickly as possible. Dream waited patiently and when I was finally ready, I met him near the door. He was just finishing yawning, tightening his hold on a basket he now held, a rolled blanket tucked neatly under his arm.

I raised a brow, a small smile spreading on my face. "A picnic."

"It's supposed to be a surprise." He chastised playfully, opening the door so we could walk out.

The morning sun spread its warmth over the bright green grass and the wooden Prime path, blanketing me in its rays as well. The air smelled clean and fresh and only a few clouds spotted the sky.

I turned to Dream, squinting in the sunlight. "All right, where are we heading?"

"This way." He stepped past me, and I joined his side as we started walking down the Prime path in the direction of the Community house.