Episode 1: Ceremony

Lucy skipped around her room on trembling legs. The cyan cape on her dress fluttered behind her as she did so. Today was the big day. She and her family would visit De's shrine for her coming-of-age ceremony.

In their religion, a person had to visit the shrine of the creator when they turned seventeen. There, they gathered with the rest of the village. As thanks for seventeen years of life, one had to give a speech in De's honor.

Lucy sighed. Her eyes drifted back toward the paper in her hands. She wasn't sure if it was any good. Normally, she would ask her parents for help, but that would be against tradition. One had to express their feelings of gratitude in their own words.

Lucy dreaded it. She wasn't even sure if she'd be able to eat tonight. Never mind if there was a feast.

Knock-knock!

Lucy's mom, Thyst, came into the room.

"Dear, are you ready to go?" Thyst adjusted the skirt on her daughter's dress. "We have to start heading for the shrine soon. The first rays of the sun will hit soon."

"I-I'm coming!" Lucy said, slipping her paper into her pouch. She took a deep breath and slapped herself. Come on, Lulu! You can do this!

She opened the door and ran toward the front room where her dad, Alice, and Skylar were waiting for them.

Edgar kissed her forehead. "Ready to go?"

Lucy forced herself to smile. Not really, but she would probably get into more trouble if they didn't go.

"Aren't Kai and Violet coming, too?" Skylar asked.

"Kai is going to meet us at the shrine." Thyst put her pouch over her shoulder. "Violet went home last night. She wanted to spend some time with her little brother."

Edgar rubbed his wife's back. "The heart heals slowly."

Edgar took his young son by the hand and led him to the red sled. Alice got on behind him. He then helped Lucy and her mom onto the other sled before taking the reins.

Cursed Morderu. Why did Lucy have such bad nerves? Alice and Kai never lost to theirs. A shaky breath. Even though Lucy loved feeling winter's chill on her pale cheeks, her heart felt like it would come up through her throat.

Thyst ran her fingers through her daughter's golden locks. "Deep breaths, Lulu." Her soft purple eyes gazed into Lulu's. "It upsets De to see anxious children."

Lulu already knew. Her parents had told Alice the same thing when it was her turn.

Alice insisted she wasn't, but Lulu thought her elder sister was amazing. She gave her speech like it was nothing. Her fiery hair was like a lamp in the night. She intended to do her best for De and their village.

Could Lulu make such a grand promise? She was grateful to her mom and dad for giving her a home and family, though.

Kai was amazing, too. He didn't miss a beat during his speech. Alice couldn't have done hers without his help. Maybe I should ask him for some tips too...

Lulu stared off. What task would De give her? Kai loved his. He had to travel and catch a bunch of rare fish. For a guy who spent his free time fishing, that was a dream come true.

It was also how he met his wife. He didn't look at anyone else like he looked at Violet.

As for her sister, Alice had been given a weird task. De told her to look for a rusty hunk of armor. It had been two years since then, but they still didn't know why she had to look for it.