Episode 3: Gardening

[The next day-Grenary 23rd]

"Lulu, are you done eating?" Kai asked as he came in.

Lucy looked up and nodded before tilting her head.

"Would you like to help me pick onions?"

"Sure." She pushed her chair in before putting her plate in the sink. Though, it was odd he was asking for help. Kai usually did it himself. Could he have noticed she was out of it?

"Is it alright if I come, too?" Alice asked.

The well-built young man grinned. "The more, the merrier."

Or maybe he was lonely... Kai was a social animal after all.

Alice put on her coat and she grabbed her basket.

Once the girls were out, Kai shut the door behind him.

Alice giggled. "I bet Sky is going to enjoy having Mom and Dad to himself for an hour or two."

"Oh, yeah." Kai laughed. "I'm sure he'll keep them from working too much, too fast."

What could they have been working on? Could it have something to do with her mission? If she were to travel the world, she'd need a lot of supplies. The logistics of it were mind boggling. She'd only ever been to the nearby village and that took two days or so by wagon.

"He is our little helper, after all," Alice replied. 

Lucy smiled. That he was. She would miss the kid.

The third child went on ahead of the other two, causing them to chase after her once they realized she'd gone ahead.

Their field consisted of several rows with various stuff at the edge of their land. Between it and their house was a tiny well. Beyond the fence was another small field and a house. Both belonging to their brother. Ed had given it to Kai and Violet as a wedding gift.

Allie put her hands on her hips. "It looks like we're going to have a good harvest."

"Don't jump to conclusions. These stalks might be big, but the onion underneath can be super tiny. Well, at least we can use the stalks for soup. Vi likes them on her miso," Kai said as he got down on one knee.

Lulu bent down and started pulling onions. She put an onion into Allie's basket before she closed her eyes. How long would it be until she would be doing something like this again? Traveling across all four nations would take years.

*Kai*

"It's really getting to her, isn't it?" Alice asked in a low voice.

"I was hoping the onions would distract her, but it looks like it's not working," Kai replied.

"Let me take care of the onions while you talk to her," Alice said.