Episode 9: Writing

*Kai*

Sky had been rambling for a while. It was cute that he tried to tell a story.

"Will you shut it?" Vi shouted, clutching her head. "My head is killing me..."

"Hey, that's uncalled for." Kai pulled Sky close. "Come on, Sky. You can keep chatting my ear off."

Vi folded her arms. "Hmm, you fall asleep when I do that..."

Kai blushed. "Well, sometimes it gets boring."

Vi narrowed her eyes at her husband.

"Clamor down, kids or I'll stop this wagon!" Allie said.

Kai laughed. "You sound like Mom!"

Allie chuckled. "I always wanted to say that. But in all honesty, I feel like the grown up of the group."

Vi hung her head. "Wonder if I'll get to say that line to Chi one day..."

Kai laughed. "If he gets to be as noisy as his uncle and dad, I bet!"

Sky pouted. "So, I am noisy?"

"Yeah, but it's not a bad thing!" Kai grinned. "Means you're lively!"

Vi sighed. "Reminds me of what Del told Star. I miss that kitten and Chi."

"Is that why she's been grouchy? Baby withdrawal syndrome?" Kai stretched and put his hand over hers. "I also miss our little boy, but he's with Mom. She said that she'll video tape all of his antics!" He chuckled. If not for that, Kai might not have left his son.

"Video tape? Using that weird box with a glass eye?" Lulu asked.

"Yeah, it's called a camera. Though, she might also use her fancy bracelet for it." Kai took a breath. "More convenient."

"Star said his first word in forever on your birthday, right?" Allie asked. "Maybe he'll talk your ear off the next time you see him."

"I want my baby..." Vi mumbled. Tears poked out of the corner of her eyes. She fluttered her eyelashes at her husband. "Can I use you as a pillow, honey?"

Alice rolled her eyes. "We brought actual pillows with us, you know, Violet."

Violet narrowed her eyes at her. "You sure have been snappy lately, Alice."

"I've not!"

"You sorta have been," Kai said, laughing.

Alice flushed. "Fine, but I'm gonna hide. I don't want to see a sappy display of affection."

Kai stuck his tongue out at her. "You're just jealous because you have no significant other."

"I'm fine without one."

Vi sighed. "Reminds me of En..."

Kai smiled. "Maybe we should pair them up."

She scrunched her nose. "Please don't, they'll be too much to handle."

Kai laughed. "Anyway, it's fine for you to use me as a pillow." He ruffled his wife's hair. "Just don't use my lap, alright? It's not very soft."

"I can live with that."

Kai helped his wife into the wagon before offering his sister his hand. Once he was inside, he closed the back of the wagon.

Kai had to stifle a laugh. He never thought he would be writing more stories for Vi's brother. It had been so long. Hopefully, he would enjoy the new stories as much as he did the old ones.

He had been there for his sister's birthday. Lulu deserved it and he helped care for his parents and siblings when they needed him.

Still, he couldn't help but feel guilty for not being there for his wife. Even when she put on a brave face, it was clear when she was worried about her brother. She always told the kids she was visiting because he was sick, but Kai didn't think they bought that. They didn't know what it was, but they could sense something was wrong.