Episode 14: Gems

Lulu and the others didn't do much after the history lesson

Lulu and the others didn't do much after the history lesson. They had just gotten into town and had their own excitement. It would be better to rest, so they could do more the next day.

Alice ran her fingers through her hair as she looked between her siblings. "It might be selfish of me to ask, but there's something I'd like to do."

"Just ask." Lulu smiled. "It'll be better than wandering around this place aimlessly."

"And we could split into two groups if needed," Vi added.

Her cheeks reddened. "That story Kai told us got me thinking about my own task. I'd like to look at some knights' gear if we happen to come across."

"Searching for inspiration?" Kai put his arm around her. "I'd be happy to help."

"Thank you..."

Lulu furrowed her eyebrows. "Do you think there are any shops in town that could know about my task?"

"It might be a long shop, but a jeweler might be familiar with the gems. Given it's a task, there could be legends or gossip about it," Vi said.

"If we find the jewelry shop before Allie's, Vi and Lulu can go in. Allie and I can take care of Sky."

"I have no objections," Vi said.

Sky furrowed his eyebrows. "Are you sure about this?"

"Of course, I am." Kai winked. "I don't think you really want to look at rings or necklaces."

Lulu giggled. "Yeah. I think Sky will have more fun with the swords and armor."

"Maybe Jack or someone else in town can point us in the right direction," Kai said.

"I wouldn't mind wandering around, though," Alice said. "We'll probably stumble on more interesting people that way."

"I guess that could be okay." Vi scrunched her eyebrows. "I'm glad we had porridge before having this discussion."

"I have a feeling Jack would have talked to them, too," Kai said.

Vi glared at her husband. "That would be excessive."

"I went for a walk last night. I talked to Jack when I saw what you did to those unfortunate souls."

"What unfortunate souls?" Sky asked.

"The ones I taught a lesson to."

Alice furrowed her eyebrows. "What did you do?"

"Tied them to poles after I forced them to strip down to their undergarments."

Alice, Lulu, and Sky jumped.

How could she say that so calmly? Lulu didn't expect her to use such a punishment. It would be a terrible idea to ever get on Vi's bad side.

"I instantly understood why you told me to let it go."

"I could never let another girl fall victim to that. It's not like most girls carry weapons on their person like I do."

Did that have something to do with the war?

"Can we stop standing around?" Sky asked.

Kai chuckled. "Yes, we can go."

"Does anyone have a preference for which way we should go?" Alice asked.

"Let's go left," Sky replied.

Lulu blinked. Maybe she should study history. She didn't even know where the capital of the unified kingdom was.

As she walked, Lulu watched the townspeople scurry about as they went about their own business.

Vi stopped in front of a building with a red awning. "Let's go, Lulu. They might have answers for us in there."

"We'll might back at the inn by lunch time. Does that work for you?" Kai asked.

Vi nodded before kissing her husband. "See you later."

Vi opened the door to the store for Lulu.

The woman at the counter smiled at them. "Welcome in."

"Thank you." Vi smiled. "Is it alright if we ask you some questions, ma'am?"

"Of course. What are they?"

Lulu swallowed a lump in her throat before stepping forward. "For my task to come of age, I have to collect seven gems and a crown that were scattered throughout the four kingdoms."

"Oh, dear." The woman gasped. "You've been given quite the monumental task."

No kidding. Lulu didn't even know how they were going to find the one her dad had marked for them.

Vi squeezed her sister-in-law's shoulder. "Let's take everything one step at a time. That's all we can do right now."

"She's right." The woman smiled. "If you just focus on finding the first gem, it won't be so overwhelming."

"That's why I made your brother drive the wagon when we left. I could tell he was getting overwhelmed at the thought of having to chart our course again."

"Oh, my," the jewelry store clerk said. "How far do you girls live from here?"

Vi smiled. "It's not especially far from here. It's about two days away by wagon."

"You're lucky if your family owes a wagon, though."

Vi nodded. "I passed through this town about eight years ago. My future husband and I had to walk everywhere."

The clerk turned back to Lulu. "Do you know why you need to look for these gems?"

Lulu shook her head. "Just that belonged to a queen and that the four kingdoms used to be one."

"That's news to me." The woman frowned. "I'm sorry that I can't be of more help."

"That's alright." Vi smiled. "We knew when we came in here that it would be a long shot. Thank you for your time, ma'am."

She waved. "Good luck on your task and take care."

Lulu sighed after they left the jewelry store. "What should we do now, Vi?"

"I think we should head back to the inn. It'll be easier than wandering around, looking for your siblings."

"How do you think they're doing with what Allie wanted to do?"

Vi sighed. "It depends on if they had better luck than us. I'm not sure if Allie really knew what she wanted to get out of looking at the knights' gear."

"Didn't she say it was because it reminded her of her task?"

"Yeah." Vi shook her head. "Let's stop standing around and go wait for the others."

Lulu blinked. "Uh... Alright, Vi."

What had gotten into Vi? Why was she acting like that?

***

Thoughts? Theories? Predictions?

~Shino out!