Episode 23: Soup

Lucy laid still as Sky hugged her

Lucy laid still as Sky hugged her. It was a little too tight. She wanted to tell him to let go, but she didn't want to make him feel sad.

"Huh? Are you okay, Lulu? You're turning blulu."

Lucy laughed. "You sound like Kai."

Sky reclined his head on his pillow and blinked. Thankfully, he let go of her somewhat too. "I do?"

"Yeah. He makes lame puns too."

"Hey! I heard that!" Kai said, entering the room.

Lulu sat up. "Did you need something?"

"You're changing the subject!"

"Kai!" Sky whined.

"Allie finished lunch. She asked me to check on Sky."

Sky pushed himself up with his arms. "I don't wanna keep eating in bed. You guys are gonna eat in the kitchen."

"It's okay to do that when you have a fever. And after you get hurt."

Vi came into the room. "No need to get upset. We were planning to have lunch with you as long as you were awake."

Kai patted his head. "The sooner you get better, the sooner you can do what you want."

Alice came in with a giant pot. "You'll feel worse if you keep getting worked up." She set it down before putting her hands on his face.

Sky yelped. "Hot!"

"Sorry..." Allie rubbed the back of her neck. "Eat up. You need to keep your strength up."

Sky scrunched his nose.

Vi brushed his forehead with the back of her hand. "The pesky fever hasn't broken."

Alice sighed. "Sky, I will feed you myself if I have to."

Lulu put a scoopful of stew into a bowl. "At least try to eat this?" She smiled. "Allie worked hard on it."

Sky contorted his face as he put the spoon in his mouth.

"I wish we could make you feel better," Alice said. "Sometimes, being sick makes food taste weird."

"Like that time, you were sick when Mom was away," Lucy said.

Vi raised an eyebrow at her. "When was that?"

"When you were off on your trip with Kai to Edna and Jack's village. Sky got a high fever. Think it was during Yondermonth."

Lucy's sister-in-law gasped. "That would be when Star got... So that's why she wasn't there..."

Lucy tilted her head. Was it when her brother got kidnapped? She remembered Thyst was a mess during those months.

Sky sighed. "I wished that I were like you Key Keepers, not getting sick."

Vi laughed awkwardly. "Dear, I'm the only Key Keeper here."

Sky tilted his head. "I know. Meant you guys in general. From Betty to you."

Vi coughed. "Uh, so what did you guys do last time?"

"Mom gave him her famous soup, " Lucy said.

"If only I could contact her..." Kai mumbled.

Sky leaned his head on his pillow and closed his eyes. "Mommy's soup... yummy in my tummy."

Kai wet a nearby washcloth with his powers and laid it across his brother's forehead. He then dragged his sisters and wife out of the room.

"Kai," Alice gasped.

"It won't help Sky if we get worked up." He brought the pot out. "We need to eat before we do anything else."

Lucy lowered her head and closed her eyes. What were the ingredients of her mom's soup again? She remembered it had onions, and its key ingredient were lentils.

Lucy frowned. Lentils, it was rare to get them at home as they grew near the border with Sursland, yet she felt as if she'd eaten them more than she actually had.

As the others sat down to eat Allie's food, Lucy walked over to their kind host.

"Uh, Zena."

"Yes, dear?"

"Do you have any lentils?"

"Lentils? Afraid not. It's too cold. In the summer, we do tend to get them here." She sighed. "I remember my daughter-in-law made some of the best lentil soup around."

Lucy bit her lip. She wanted to ask why she seemed sad, but perhaps it was best not to ask.

"Lucy!" Kai yelled, waving at her. He pointed to her bowl.

Zena smiled. "Go and eat, young lady."

"You too, old lady!" Kai signaled toward another bowl.

Vi struck him upside the head. "You oaf! Don't be rude to our host."

Zena snickered as she and Lulu walked over to them. "My, my, you remind me a lot of my dear Art. He too could be a bit of an oaf."

Lucy clenched her head.

"Lucy!" Kai yelled. He grabbed her as things went dark.

"Lumi!" a voice called out. It was female and gentle.

Lumi? Who was Lumi?

"You okay, Lumi? You have a fever. Come, lay down in bed."

Lucy felt a hand grab hers in the void, pulling her away.

"Mommy," a little girl said. "When will Daddy be back?"

She gasped. "Wait, you've been staying up late for him to come back, haven't you?"

"Y-yes. I miss Daddy."

Lucy felt a hand against her head.

"Aww, my sweet Lulu, your Papa's out hunting. He and the other men will return soon. Now, come, you have to rest. I'll make you some lentil soup."

"Yippee!" the little girl yelled.

Lucy reached her hand out. "Mommy, don't go. Lulu doesn't want to be alone."

Lucy opened her eyes. That girl's nickname was the same as hers. She rubbed her temples. But why did she hear that conversation?

Kai laughed. "I'm not Mom, but if you want, I can stay with you."

Allie crouched beside her siblings. "Take it easy, alright?" She blew on a spoon. "You look pale."

Lulu frowned as she leaned forward and took the spoonful. Sky was the one stuck in bed. Kai and their siblings should have been focusing all of their energy on getting him better.

Once Allie helped her finish lunch, Lulu tried to get out of Kai's arms.

Vi pressed her to lay back down. "Easy, Lulu. You just fainted. If you overdo it, it might happen again."

"I'm sure Sky will appreciate cuddling with a cool stuffy," Kai said.

Alice smiled. "If anyone can break his fever, it's you, Lulu."

Lulu smiled at her big sister.

After Kai laid Lulu down, he changed Sky's washcloth. "Holler if you need anything."

Kai shut the door most of the way on his way out.

***

Thoughts? Theories? Predictions?

~Shino out!