Episode 20: Yeti

Since it was about to get dark, Lulu and the others had to stop for the night

Alice folded her arms and sighed.

"What's wrong?" Vi asked.

"I thought we had a lot more wood. I'm not sure if this will be enough to make a fire tonight."

Kai inspected the pile. "I can make this work if I need to."

Lulu put her hand up. "I can look for some firewood."

Sky threw his hand up. "Me, too!"

"Holler if you run into trouble," Vi said.

Alice put her hands on her hips. "And don't wander off too far."

Sky gave his big sister a quick hug. "Don't worry. "We'll be careful."

"Let's go this way," Lulu said.

"Sounds good."

The pair walked over to an area with a group of trees. It was far enough away that neither could see their siblings.

"You think we'll find some good firewood here?" Sky asked.

"Yeah." Lulu smiled. "I'm sure the trees have shed some branches we can use."

"Trees shed?"

Lulu giggled. "Maybe they don't. Still."

Lulu made a small mountain out of the snow near the trees to expose their droppings.

Sky then gathered the droppings. "Let's get back before Kai and the others start worrying about us."

"Sounds good," Lulu said.

Lulu's ears twitched. What was that?

Sky screamed.

A white fluffy monster growled as it charged toward them.

Sky let out an ear-piercing scream when the gorilla-like monster grabbed him by the leg and dragged him through the snow. It banged its chest. Seemingly in triumph.

When he tried to cut the monster's wrist with a wind dagger, it didn't even seem fazed.

Lulu shot ice at its feet in an attempt to freeze it, but it didn't even seem to tickle the monster. Its fur must have protected it from the worst effects of the cold.

She threw an oddly shaped ball of light at its feet, but that didn't turn out much better, either.

Lulu felt the blood drain from her face as she ran after them. "Let go of my baby brother, you monster!"

"Lulu, help me!" Sky shrieked.

How could Lulu let this happen? She was the big sister. If anyone was going to get hurt, it should have been her.

"I'm coming! I won't let an ugly fuzzball take you away!"

Lulu side stepped when the monster kicked snow in her direction.

She then threw another ball of light at it.

"Lulu, throw some light at the sky!" Sky shouted.

Lulu then threw some light skyward as hard as she could. It popped when it hit altitude.

The ugly gorilla slapped its butt. Was it trying to taunt Lulu?

She used the snow around them to fashion a handle for her ice sword.

"Now I'm mad, you stupid gorilla!" She swung her ice sword as hard as she could at the arm that had been clutching Sky's leg.

Sky let out another ear-piercing scream when the ugly gorilla's arm fell off. He rolled when he fell onto the snow.

"I'm so sorry, Sky!" Lulu shouted. "I'm so sorry!"

That was when a jet stream of water hit the ugly gorilla in the face.

"Lulu, Sky! I'm coming!" Kai shouted.

Thank De that Kai was coming.

Kai shot another jet stream at the monster. "Lulu! Freeze that monster now!"

Lulu then shot as much as ice at it as she could.

Lulu wobbled. Her head felt like it would fall off of her neck. Her eyes fell shut.

*Kai*

"Lulu!" Sky squeaked.

Kai put Lulu on his back before scooping Sky up. "We need to get back to Allie and Vi."

He then ran as fast as he could. He would have liked to be gentler with his brother and sister, but that wasn't a luxury they had at that moment. They had to get away from the ugly monster before he, Allie, and Vi could care for them properly.

Vi gasped when she saw them coming. "Kayleigh almighty, Kai. What happened?"

Kai heard the monster roar.

"No time for questions. Allie, take the reins now."

Sky whined when Kai jumped into the back of the wagon.
Kai stroked his hair. "I'm sorry, Sky. We'll get you fixed up soon."

Vi must have gone up front with Allie since Kai heard his sister flick the reins.

Kai clenched his teeth. De, please. I beg of you. Protect me and my siblings from further harm. Give me the strength that I need to care for them. May their recoveries be speedy and as pain-free as possible.

***

Thoughts? Theories? Predictions?

~Shino out