Episode 33

A week had passed since Violet had become covered in vines, and she had yet to awaken

A week had passed since Violet had become covered in vines, and she had yet to awaken. Despite that, Kai seemed to be holding out fine. Her words and her sister's must've worked.

"Where are we off to now?" Sky asked, staring at the map.

"We're going to pass through some war ruins. After that, we should reach Sursland."

Benny gulped. "You think that they'll let us enter? If they get word that Violet is in the state she is, they might kill her and then the rest of us."

Kai bit his lip. "I wish Noah was here."

"Violet's brother?" Alice asked. "Why?"

"He might be able to turn her invisible."

"If Noah can do that, could Lulu do that?" Alice asked.

"I don't know... I don't think anyone ever specifically taught him how to do that."

Alden furrowed his eyebrows. "Even if that was possible, how long would they have to keep it up? It might not be worth the risk."

"Good point..."

Kai frowned as he stared at his wife. "I can't lose her. I can't imagine what would happen to Chi if he didn't have a mommy and daddy anymore. If Noah can't remember his parents, then Chi wouldn't be able to remember us, either."

Alden scoffed. "Why are we talking as if we're going to be sitting ducks? We'll just fight them guards!"

Kai tightened his hold on his wife. "Have you or your friends ever had to cross the border?  Vi and I have. It wasn't easy. If we were by ourselves, we probably wouldn't have made it."

Alice slapped her big brother on the back. "Pull yourself together, you big oaf!"

"But that was during a war," Alden said. "How bad could it possibly be now?"

"Thanks for jinxing us!"

Sky glared at his brother. "Be nice."

"How far are we from the town?" Cody asked.

"Maybe a couple hours," Kai said. "We should probably wait until we get there to eat."

"I'm not even hungry, so that's fine," Alice said.

Sky hung his head. "I miss having Vi eat with us."

Lulu patted his head. "We all do. I'm sure she'll wake up soon."

"Is it alright if we switch drivers?" Alice yelled from the front of the wagon.

"I'll do it," Lulu said.

"I'll join you," Alden said.

The voices in her head grew to fever a pitch before they suddenly calmed down. "Take care out there, Lumi."

A tear rolled down a side of her face. She grabbed the wagon, felling her legs shaky.

"Hey, you okay?" Alden asked, touching her shoulder.