Episode 30

When the family woke up in the morning, they gathered with Jack, Alden, Benny, and Cody in a common room area

"Do you know where the head priest went?" Benny asked. "No one has seen him since last night. I think the other priests are getting worried."

Jack sighed. "He's being replaced. It's probably better if you don't know why."

"I'm going to be staying behind to help with the transition," Edgar said. "It will take time to find a suitable replacement."

"What about Lady Violet and the others?" Alden asked.

"I'm going to give them my wagon," Jack said. "Like we discussed last night, you, Cody, and Benny are to accompany them."

Alice furrowed her eyebrows. "But what about Lulu's trial? De said she could choose four people to accompany her."

"De upped the limit," Edgar replied. "You kids have been through a lot. He can't in good conscience let you get hurt anymore if it can be helped."

Vi folded her arms. "I would like it if things don't get worse than they already have, but I know better than to hold my breath."

"Cody, Benny, and I will do what we can to make things easier for your family," Alden said.

"Are you sure?" Lulu asked.

Cody smiled. "We're happy to do it."

"I'd like to see how this ends," Alden said. "Lady Violet is the one who ended the war."

"I can't blame you." Vi sighed. "I'm sure it was a very formative time for a lot of kids."

Benny smiled. "So, what do you have to do?"

"Lulu has to travel the four kingdoms in search of seven gems and a crown," Vi replied. "We're still on the first gem."

Alden ran his fingers. "Yikes. We're in for a long road."

Alice folded her arms. "Honestly, I don't mind. I just want to get out of this place."

"Are you sure?" Sky asked. "Don't you not feel very well after what happened last night?"

She ruffled his hair. "I'm sure. I can rest on the wagon. I just want to get back on the road."

Vi squeezed her shoulders. "Even so, you need to let us know if you need a break. You could hurt yourself if you push yourself too hard."

"I know."

"On that note," Alden said, "Let Benny, Cody, and me drive today. Focus on being a family. It's not like we'll get to where you're going today."

After Kai and the three boys finished loading up their belongings onto the wagon, they got back on the road.

It wasn't long before Alice fell asleep. Sky sat beside her, so she could use him as a stuffy.

It was a bittersweet sight. While it was cute, Lulu was sad that her sister had a rough night. She really deserved the rest she was getting right now.

Vi draped a blanket over the pair. She then whispered in Lulu's ear. "She'll be alright. We're all right here."

Lulu laid down beside her siblings and dozed off.

When she woke up, Benny was in the back with them.

"Stay with Allie and Sky," Vi said.

"Yes, ma'am."

Vi and Kai hopped off the wagon. Lulu jumped after them.

"That mask." Vi gasped. "Is he one of the Masquerades that Noelle mentioned?"

Kai furrowed his eyebrows. "The Masquerades?"

"They're an evil group from Noelle's stationed world, Engarda," Vi replied.

Sky tilted his head. "En what now?"

"Engarda," the masked man replied. "I curb stomped it's KK too."

"I heard." Vi glared. "Even my sweetheart of a sister was furious about what happened to her nephew."

Vi threw sharp leaves at the masked man.

He kicked Vi in the stomach. "Make that three Key Keepers I've curb stomped."

Lulu gasped. "Three?"

The masked man shrugged. "Well, I guess that I did more so mental damage to poor dear Atty."

Kai gritted his teeth. "You monster! How dare you hurt the love of my life and her brother!"

The masked man laughed. "How corny! I should use that one on Han."

Kai scrunched his nose. "You're married? Your partner has sucky taste!"

Kai screamed as he threw water needles at the masked man.

The masked man scoffed. "You call this a water attack? Pathetic! Allow me to show you the true power of water!"

Kai's eyes widened. "M-my body..."

The masked man laughed. "The human body is made up of mostly water."

Lulu surrounded her brother in ice to support his body.

Kai's teeth chattered. "T-thanks, Lulu!"

The masked man moved his sword to Sky who was peering out of the back of the wagon and made him run toward Lulu.

Sky shouted, "Lulu!"

"Argh!" Alden punched Edgar who was running toward them.

The masked man jumped into a tree. "Dance, my meat puppets, dance!"

Edgar glared. "You really are a disgusting human. Not only did you kill the friend of someone who saw you as a uncle but freely traumatized your nephew. It is beyond me how you can do that."

"War does that."

"You say that like you're the only one who's been impacted by the ravages of war. Why would you inflict pain you know so well on others?"

The masked man scoffed. "Why don't you ask that to the ones who robbed me of my family?" He swung his sword at Edgar.

Who would that be?" Thyst asked.

The masked man spread out his arms. "Sursland. Though the other nations aren't innocent either. Not even the so called 'Holy Nation of Norsland'."

"I can't deny that." Edgar clenched his staff. "What do you want from my children?"

"Morderu wants your 'daughter'. In exchange, I will be reunited with my mother."

"Are you insane?" Thyst screeched?"

"Actually... the son of a Key Keeper and grandson of two Gatekeepers might be a better trade."

Kai glared. "Don't you dare!"

"Have you forgotten?" The masked man tried to move Kai's foot with his powers. "I control your body."

"But I do have the power to fight you!"

"Are you sure?" He made Kai swing his weapon.

"Lulu! En guard!"

Lulu froze her brother in place.

The masked man made Sky charge at her.