Episode 19: Farewell

*Kai*

Alice put her hands on her hips. "So, who's going to take the first driving shift?"

"Could one of you girls go first?" Kai asked. "I'd like to take a later shift."

"I don't mind being up front. I'd like to get some fresh air," Alice said.

"Can I sit up front, too?" Sky asked.

"Go ahead," Allie said.

"I don't mind, either," Lulu said. "You can get Allie to yourself for a few hours."

Kai helped Lulu into the wagon before turning to look at his wife.

Star had Chi in one arm as he blew his sister a kiss.

"I love you, too." Vi kissed the top of their son's head. "Mommy is going to miss her Chi very much."

Chi gave his mom a wet kiss on the cheek.

Enji gave the frowning Star a pat on the head.

Kai helped his wife into the back of the carriage before getting in himself.

Chi started crying as the wagon began to drive away.

"Don't cry, Chi!" Kai called out. "You'll make Mommy and Daddy cry!"

The sniveling baby waved at his parents.

Star swayed the baby in his arms.

Kai stroked his wife's back as he helped her onto the wagon.

Lulu draped a blanket over Vi before she sat down.

"Thanks, Lulu." Vi smiled weakly as she squeezed her husband's hand. "I was up late last night, so I'm going to take a nap. Will you take the second shift?"

"Will you sit up front with me when I take it?" Kai asked.

Vi kissed her husband on the lips. "I would love to, honey."

Kai stroked his wife's hair until she finally fell asleep.

He grinned like a fool as he watched her sleep. He had the best wife ever. What had he done for De to consider him worthy of the blessings that were his wife and their son? Maybe they could try to make another one after they helped Lulu complete her task.

Kai looked back at the map. It would take them two weeks or so for them to reach the border with Sursland. From there, they had to be careful. Vi might have ended the war between the four nations, but things weren't exactly peaceful.

Come to think of it, had that been a reason why Vi stayed up late? It had been eight years. Were her bad memories flooding back. Although how did Kai and his siblings not notice that? Vi was extremely attuned to her little brothers and sisters' moods.

A sigh escaped from his lips. Sky and the girls should be okay since they weren't old enough to be a part of the war. Still, Vi was at the center of the conflict. She would probably need an alias for her own safety. And Kai should consider the same thing.

Kai felt a pat on the back. Vi's eyes looked glazed over. "Come to bed, honey."

Kai looked over and saw Lulu smiling as she covered her big brother with another blanket. "Sweet dreams, big brother."

"I love you, Lulu."

***

Kai yawned and stretched when he woke up. Vi was slowly waking up beside him.

Lulu smiled at the couple. "Did you guys have a nice nap?"