Episode 21: Fever

*Alice*

Alice drove the wagon through two clearings before stopping in the third.

"Violet, do you think we've put enough distance between us and whatever attacked Sky and Lulu?"

"It'll have to do," she replied. "I'm worried that the kids can't take any more punishment."

"That stupid monster probably buried itself in an avalanche," Kai called from the back.

Alice hopped out of the driver's seat and walked to the back of the wagon.

Vi followed her.

Kai bit his lip as he removed the monster's arm from his baby brother's leg.

Vi took the arm away from her husband.

"Lulu," Kai said.

Vi kissed her husband on the lips. "Lulu will be okay. I promise. She just used too much of her powers. She just needs to rest."

Alice spoke to her big brother in a firm but gentle voice. "Kai, Sky needs you to help us fix his leg up."

"I'm sorry if this hurts," Kai said in a whisper. "I need to see what's wrong with your leg, so we can fix it."

Alice held her unconscious baby brother's hand.

Kai examined their baby brother's leg with glowing hands. "I think it's broken..."

Vi rubbed her husband's back. "Just do what you can. We'll get through this somehow."

"Unfortunately, I can't entirely fix a broken bone. The pain should dull a little, though."

"If you could do that, wouldn't Mom have been able to fix her wrist before she got caught?"

Vi shook her head. "Her healing powers were actually knocked out for the five or six months it took for her wrist to fully heal."

"Yikes..." Alice put her head in her hands. "It's beyond me how Mom manage to hide her injury like she did."

"She had a secret way to manage her pain. Unfortunately, I don't know how it works. It would be handy right now."

Kai smiled when his baby brother relaxed slightly.

Vi was gentle as she took her brother-in-law's shoe and sock off.

"What should we use to fashion bandages for Sky?" Alice asked.

"I have some things we can use." Vi crawled over to her belongings and pulled out some ratty, old shirts.

Alice's jaw dropped. "Where did you get those from?"

"They were my brothers and sisters'. Hannah let me take them since they were too old to mend anymore."

Alice shook her head. "Well, that was convenient."

"Who cares?" Kai shouted.

Vi put her finger over her husband's lips. "Honey, you're going to wake the kids. They need to rest, so they can get better."

Vi carefully tore the cloth into strips.

"Let me help." Alice held Sky's leg, so Vi could focus on positioning the bandages.
Vi then used a substance that came out of her hands as a sort of glue to keep the bandages in place.

Alice put a pillow inside one of the old shirts before putting it underneath his leg. "That should help with swelling and keeping him comfortable."

Kai frowned as he squeezed his baby sister's hand. "When do you think Lulu will wake up?"