Into Action

*20 BBY, Zygerria* 

Lightsaber? Check.

Dress? Check

Comlink? Check.

Credits? Check.

Looking good? Check.

We strutted out of our room and made our way to the auction. I made my walk more powerful to hide my anxiousness. I tipped my chin up, swept my cape, and elongated my step. I was confident, but not 100%. A guard came running up to us.

"Ms. Aen?"

"Yes?"

"The Queen requests your presence."

"Take me there." Was Briar really going to allow me to sit at her side during the auction? We followed the guard down many hallways and staircases until we reached a center viewing balcony that overlooked the auction yard. We were high up in the air, and warm air wafted up through the open windows. There were thousands of people surrounding this pit who were all ready to buy slaves. It made me sick.

"You can sit by my side so we can buy these slaves you have picked out."

"Thank you, Your Majesty." I bowed. She pointed to a short chair that sat beside her throne. The auction began.

***

It was near the very end of the auction before they brought out my family. They were pushed onto the pedestal, surrounded by Zygerrian guards with whips in hand.

"These prized Twi-leks! Bidding begins at 1,000 credits!" I sucked in a breath. I could do this. I bid. "1,500 credits!" I watched as my sister writhed in pain when a guard touched open wounds on her back. "2,000 credits!" Someone else had bid. My stomach dropped. "2,500." My throat tightened. "3,000." The numbers kept going up and up and up. I didn't know how many credits I actually had in my case, but I was beginning to panic. What if I didn't have enough? "5,000." Tears welled in my eyes. I bid again. A counterbid. The Queen was supposed to be doing all she could! I felt the clones tense behind me.

I bid.

They bid.

I bid.

They bid.

I bid.

I watched as my family looks out of the pit in pure terror as their lives are being bought with credits, as their freedom is being ripped away from them. Right in front of their eyes. There were more bids. We were at 12,000 credits. I had to do it. I had to take the risk.

"15,000!" I screamed, leaping to the end of the balcony to get the auctioneer's attention.

"15,000. Going once? Going twice?" The silence in the auction pit was so loud. My heart raced. "Sold."