Gift

*20 BBY, Coruscant/Ryloth* 

(filler chapters are boring but here we are)

Detta and I did our secret handshake the moment we left the council room.

"79's?" Crack-Up raised his brows. The rest cheered and followed.

"Coria's?" I asked Detta.

"Wouldn't you rather go to 79's?"

"No, I can go after we visit Coria." I smiled warmly at her.

"You're the best." She wrapped her arm around my waist as we walked down the hallway.

***

Detta knocked on Coria's door. She leaned her head into the doorway tentatively.

"Detta?! You made it!" They embraced warmly. "Tell me the whole story."

***

They chatted for hours discussing the events. Detta left out certain details. She told Coria that I taught her to dance, but took care to leave out our kiss. While they did this, I was in contact with the tailor back on Ryloth. My idea was materializing. I had designed Detta a new outfit. Even though it was almost exactly the same as her current one, it had some new additions and changes. It was to be delivered tonight.

***

I was drinking at 79's when I was called about the package's arrival. I met the tailor and thanked him, handing him some credits.

"Tell me what she thinks."

"Will do." I opened the package and inspected it. It looked great! Her shirt was the same, but the back was more open. The pants were the same, but the skirt tails were changed to a sheer high-low skirt. There were also new boots, because her current ones were too small. There was also a new wrist panel full of all sorts of electronics that I would work out. My favorite part? Chains. They were the chains worn by her mother on Zygerria. They connected to the collar on the back of the shirt, and flowed down her back, until they split and wrapped around her stomach, connecting with her belt. I understand that it might be seen as weird, but I know Detta will wear them with pride. On the way back to the temple, I realized that this may be seen as a clean slate, or as a signal to move on. I was really worried that she might see it as "sorry over half of your family died, here are some new shoes!" Hopefully, that wasn't the case.

***

Back at the temple, I made my way to Detta's chambers. The door opened. She was face-first in a holopad going over our mission tomorrow.

"Hello." She patted the floor beside her.

"Hello. I've got something for you." I watched as her expression changed in the harsh artificial light.

"What is it?"

"A new outfit. I hope it's not rude-"

"No! This is great!" She held it up and looked at it. "I'll go put it on. I have been meaning to get some new clothes!"