Chapter 22.2

Mr. Taylor was kind to offer me a room to stay in his house. He told me not to bother since he was alone anyway. But I wondered why. From what I knew, the magazine I read said he was "happily" married to a beautiful wife together with their daughter and son.

"I know what's in that head of yours, young man. My wife and the children are at my in-laws for the entire break so the house is all mine." He handed me a glass of wine. Paano niya nalaman ang nasa isip ko? I looked at him, amazed. "No wonder it felt like I was transported back to uni. Your uncle makes the same curious face, you know?"

"You know my uncle?"

"Thomas? Of course. He was my best bud...

...and my little brother's lover."

I was too astounded to speak. I could only stand and stare at him. I can't believe Mr. Taylor is Nic's older brother.

"Am I really that easy to read?" I snapped back. That question made him stop drinking from his glass and looked at me. I just really wanted to ask, not because I was mad or anything. Hindi ko lang kasi maintindihan kung bakit napakadali sa iba na malaman kung ano ang iniisip ko.

He patted my arms and said, "Don't think too much. I mean, that was not to insult you at all. In fact, it's one of the things I liked about your uncle. If only everyone's actions are free from pretense, perhaps the world could be a better place." I heard a sigh. From just a casual conversation, Mr. Taylor became very deep. "Anyway, let me walk you to your room. Good thing you're here. I need more helping hands for this upcoming exhibition I am doing."

The next day, Mr. Taylor started giving me lessons and briefing me with the work he wanted me to do; take "exceptional" photos. And to be honest, that came with so much pressure. Although I was an active member of a photography club back in high school, matagal na akong hindi nakakahawak ng camera.

"Of course you need a running theme. Now that's what makes an artist different from another. Got anything in mind, young one?" I nodded and told him what I wanted. One thing I learned early on from Mr. Taylor was that the word "nothing" does not exist in his vocabulary. "If you want to, we could take our lessons outside. That way, you can find inspirations for your chosen theme. Remember, the theme should reflect on the canvas you'll be working too. So how's the busy city streets sound to you?"

I got a couple of good photos but I still felt there was something lost in them. Even with a model in the frame, ang hirap makita kung ano ang kulang. Kahit kasama ko si Mr. Taylor, I really want to discover things on my own. He goes through my shots from time to time. But getting little to no reaction from him was kind of frustrating, adding to my exhaustion of skipping breakfast.

One exceptional shot, that's all I need to have.

Mr. Taylor had to meet with the event organizers and so I went on with the assignment alone the next day. I decided to go to a nearby park, hoping to find some good subjects I could work on. But as I was preparing the camera along the way, I bumped into a guy. It seemed like he was in a hurry. He faced me and had that annoyed look on his face. Ako nga itong dapat mainis dahil nabangga niya ako.

 Ako nga itong dapat mainis dahil nabangga niya ako