Chapter 3

There can be a lot of things you can talk about when stuck in traffic. I never knew Jas can be this chatty. Totally, she can be Malcolm's new blab buddy. On the other hand, her friend Mace was rather the nonvocal one. He never started a conversation and just kept on nodding and smiling. Socially awkward, I guessed.

When Jas tried to start a conversation about school, that's when he started talking. From their Algebra to Trigonometry, naging pang matalino ang usapan nila. For some time, I felt out of place. They even managed to play a Math game as we were nearing the mall. I enjoyed listening to them, especially that Mace was getting the hang of talking and laughing whenever one of them gets a wrong answer.

My phone suddenly buzzed. A notification appeared. It was from Josh. Unfortunately, I was driving so I did not bother checking it.

"Ako na Kuya. I'll read it for you." She grabbed my phone and opened the message. I remembered using her picture as my wallpaper. Good thing I already changed it a week ago. I heaved a sigh of relief.

"Kuya Josh said they're already inside the mall and eating dinner. We probably should too. Pero gusto ko mag dimsum tonight. Kuya and your friends are eating fast food." She then called her brother and insisted on dimsum. Then, a big smile drew on her face after the call.

"Kuya L.A., you can come with us if you like. Mace and I will have dimsum." Jas offered.

"Sure. I'm fine with dimsum. My treat." Ofcourse, I should at least try to impress her. Afterall, this was Joshua's plan. I should know. Jas and Mace then looked at each other. Mace seemed to understand Jas everytime she raised her brows and pout her lips. They chuckled. Kinikilig ba itong dalawa? Ang weird.

Narating namin ang mall pagkatapos ng mahabang oras. Parking was even difficult to find. Later did we know, there was a mall wide sale. That's why maraming tao.

I tried to be a gentleman and got out of my car to open her door. But to no avail, she was already out, and so is her friend. Nice try, buddy. Maybe next time. She was already hungry kaya nagmadali siyang naglakad. Ako naman, I just walked together with Mace. He needed to tie his shoe.

"Pasensya na po. Mahirap kasi higpitan ang sapatos ko. Nagmadali na kasi kaming umalis sa room namin." He's weird. Who takes off their shoes in class? Well I guess he does.

"It's okay Mace. Hindi ko rin kasi kayang maglakad nang mabilis. To tell you honestly, may hangover ako. Gusto ko na nga matulog if not for our project." I explained. Tumayo siya and we continued walking. Part of me wanted Mace to keep talking just to avoid an awkward silence.

"Gutom ka na rin ba?" I asked him. He just nodded so I kept asking. I must say, I'm getting the hang of his effeminate personality.

"How long have you known Jas?"

"Grade four kami noong una kaming nagkakilala. Transferee ako noon at siya ang unang naging friend ko sa school."

"She sure is friendly." I cut him off. He agreed.

"Sa all-girls school kasi siya nag highschool kaya hindi na kami nagkita. Nagulat na lang din po ako na BS Math din course niya eh. Kayo naman po, matagal na ba kayong magkakilala ng kuya niya?"

"Yes. We used to live in the same subdivision before. We also attended almost the same school since we were kids. And now look at us, in the same course together. We are kind of inseparable."

"Ang galing naman. Sabi nga ni Jastine best friend mo nga daw ang kuya niya."

"You can say that." We arrived at the dimsum place Jas was talking about. She was already sitting on a table good for four. Mace sat in front of her and so I was left with two choices. Pero nahiya akong tumabi kay Jas kaya I sat beside Mace instead.