Chapter 17

"Sige na anak, alam mo naman na may sakit si Manang Nancy ngayon." Mom is asking me to do the groceries. What do I know about doing groceries, you ask? Absolutely nothing. That was why I never dared to try. But it seems like I can't turn her down this time. She even made an effort to print the things I have to buy.

"It's either you do the groceries or accompany your brother to his photoshoot. Your choice, son." Dad's words as he sits to have breakfast.

Alright, fine. I opened my hand so Mom could hand over her credit card and the grocery list. "Just don't expect me to complete what's in here."

"You have to learn, son. I'm not going to let your mother do groceries for you once you move out." Dad reminded me. Now that he brought it up again, I felt excited. Typically following the American belief on being an adult, I was supposed to move out when I started attending university. It was fine with me. I was even looking forward to it. Unlucky for me, Mom was not ready to let me go and have a life of my own. She asked me if I could stay a little longer, insisting that families are stronger if they stay together. Yeah, typically Asian.

But guess what? It's been two years and I'm still stuck with my parents and an annoying baby brother. Will it be too much to ask if I want to move out so bad? So help me, Dad.

--------------------------------------------

"Tara hangout tayo. I found this place na kakabukas lang malapit sa old hangout place natin." Xeth mentioned just right after our professor left the room. Deadlines were still far so it wouldn't hurt if we could spend some time just chilling. Everyone was in, of course except for me.

"You guys can go ahead. I've got something to do." I told them.

"Tingnan mo 'to. Nagka-syota lang naging KJ na sa lahat. Eh may jowa din naman si Geremey ah pero sasama siya." Xeth complained.

Josh turned to me and asked why I wasn't going. "Mace na naman?" He added.

I shook my head. "Mom asked me to do the groceries. But if you guys are planning to stay there longer, maybe I could catch up."

"If you say so, can I ask you a favor then? Could you drive my sister home for me?" He asked as we were walking out. "Or better yet, isama mo siya to do your groceries. She could help you out. That way, you two can have some time together. Unless isasama mo rin yung kaibigan niya."

"He's got things he has to finish within the week. Baka matagalan pa siya umuwi. I don't want to disturb him anyway."

"Then that's great news. There's your chance to be with my sister. Grab it." Josh tapped my shoulders and went ahead. "Text text na lang bro."

--------------------------------------------

I would like to think that the people in the Mathematics department are now used to seeing me around their zone. Whenever I'm around, most people would ask if I was looking for Mace. But this time, I'm not here for him.

"Oh, hi Kuya L.A.! Si Mace ba? Nasa loob pa ng building eh. Gusto mo tawagin ko?" Jas is walking towards me. Just the right person I was looking for.

 Just the right person I was looking for