Chapter 13

There really was no need for confirmation that Thomas was Dad's favorite son. Growing up, our father always had high expectations of him. Being the eldest son, he is next in line to inherit the family business, as Dad's successor. Never was he disappointed of Thomas. What more could he have asked for?

Ever since we were young, Mom's constant reminder was that our father never loved us less. But as we got older, her words didn't stop me and my twin sister Dallas from feeling it otherwise. Dallas was never afraid to express her disappointments. But no matter how she raises her sentiments and tried convincing Dad to change his mind, the man's decision was firm. That's why when we turned eighteen, she decided to move far out and studied abroad.

From then on, I became Thomas's shadow. With Dallas far from home, I was always compared to my older brother. Believe me when I say I did all that I can for me to be on the same level as him, at times even better. It can be cruel to hear what others say, until I got used to it. I just kept reminding myself of what Dad told me before. That when his decisions fail him, he's got all of it backed up.

On Thomas, I was the back up.

——————————————————

"You're individual analyses are all due the following week with no extensions. For inquiries, just send me an e-mail." Those were the professor's reminders before we left. I headed out of the room and walked to answer nature calling.

"May sakit ka ba bro? Off ka ata ngayon ah." Joshua stood beside me looking at the mirror while rinsing his hands.

"Nothing. I was just thinking."

"About what?" He asked again. "Mace? My sister told me pinakilala mo sa parents mo." He said, drying off. "Things are getting serious with you and that boy, I see."

"Don't get me started Josh. That's not what I was thinking." I pushed him.

"Alright, chill man. Di ka naman mabiro. Anyway, I don't know what your plans are but don't you think you've had enough?" He tapped my shoulders. "Share your thoughts. Baka matulungan pa kita."

Honestly, part of what I was thinking was Mace. But more of what was on my mind was about what happened to Dad and my uncle.

——————————————————

Despite the gap and differences we had, Thomas and I still got along with a few things. Football, most of time. He was in his senior year in college when he offered me to live with him in his apartment. That very much was practical considering I just started out with my college life. Besides, we were studying in the same university.

"Got plans today, Tony?" He asked me. From the sound of it, he was probably going out.

My eyes were fixed on the computer when I answered. "None. I'm working on this report for a professor tomorrow." I turned to him. "What's with the get up? Is that Dad's scent on you?"

"I got myself a date today." He shared. He sure was. He never shared anything about his break up with Carly, nor share anything about his lovelife at all. So to see him get back up from that, I am glad to know he's dating again.

"Nice. Should I go and cheer you on?" I sarcastically asked to tease him.

"Can you stop messing with my life and start having yours? The university's got all the women you're looking for." He threw his towel on me as he retorted. "You're missing out on the good stuffs, Tony. There's more to life than school, you know?"