Chapter 24

I was asleep when I felt something cold on my face. When I opened my eyes, a little girl with two bright yellow ribbons attached to her pigtails was in front me. With wet tissues on her hands, she continued wiping on my face. I reclined my seat so I could properly see her. There must be something on my face that she kept on wiping.

"Oh for fuc..." I almost cursed. I didn't notice the flight attendant who was standing behind the little girl. She widened her eyes and that "don't you dare open that filthy mouth at this little girl" look of hers might have awaken my all of my senses. Considering I was one of the few passengers who booked the flight just as it was about to board, I settled in economy class.

"Your face is dirty, Mister." The little girl told me. Then she placed a small mirror in front my face. Man, she was right. Blue and purple strokes on both my cheeks and a few dots on my chin and neck. And there were some paint on my hair too. "Your shirt's got paint too." She added.

"I can do it myself, kid." I got one of her tissue. I was so much in a hurry that I forgot about how I looked. Nalaman ko na lang din na kay Maddox ang jacket na nasuot ko. Well, I left most of my things with him so he can always grab some of my clothes to replace what I got. I was left with the little girl as the flight attendant checked on other passengers.

"My name's Allison. I'm four." The little girl introduced before I could even ask. "I want to be a flight attendant just like her too." She pointed at the crew on the aisle. "What's your name, Mister?"

"I'm Andy. I'm five." I said. I've never used that name in a long time. Only my grandparents, Uncle Thomas, Aunt Dallas, Dad, and Mr. Hall call me by that name. Grandma Edith was fond of nicknames, and thus Greggy, Tommy, Dalli, Tony, Nikki, Andy, and Maddy were invented. Malcolm and Jacob, Maddox's younger brother, were special. She calls them little penguin and baby dolphin. That's because one is a figure skater and the other is a swimmer.

"You're too big to be five, Andy." She laughed at me. "But what do you want to be when you grow even more?" Allison innocently asked. I was caught up by the question. I always wanted to be just like Dad. It was always my first answer. But when I think about it, there are actually other things I want to do. I have other dreams besides following my father's footsteps. I ended up saying yes to the kid. She's too young to understand what I really want to say anyway.

A few more conversations on unicorns and rainbows and moments later, the flight attendant who was with Allison came back and asked me if I wanted to transfer to one of the business class seats. Nearby passengers were quick to turn their heads towards us upon hearing the offer. Of course, I gladly said yes. Who would turn down such good offer? With the only bag I had, Allison and I were escorted to the business class. My face may not have shown it but I was happy to get a much more comfortable seat for free.

"I heard Allison woke you up from your sleep. I'm very sorry." The little girl's mother apologized. She told me they're headed to visit her husband in China. She was advised not to move much since she's on her final weeks of pregnancy. With the situation she's in, controlling Allison will be difficult for sure. I told her I was fine. "It would be much if I keep asking the flight attendants to look after her. She seems to have liked your company. Would you mind watching over my daughter until we land?"

"No problem." I told her with a nervous smile. I know I don't get along with little children that well. But if it wasn't for them I could still be stuck in economy. A few more hours and we will be arriving in China anyway. Allison laid all her toys on my table and we played to her heart's content. From dress ups, cash register, nurse play, tea parties, to cooking. She enjoyed herself until she felt sleepy.

"Mommy tells me bedtime stories so I can sleep." She told me as I brought her up to sit on my lap.

"Which story do you want?" I asked her, hoping she would just settle with a common fairytale. Hell, I'm not familiar with the common ones either. I don't recall my parents telling me bedtime stories as a young boy. I don't remember them doing it to Malcolm either. Bedtime stories isn't much of a boys' thing, I guess. Kinakabahan na ako.