Chapter 12

Believe it or not, it can be a rare moment in the house to see my parents, Malcolm, and myself to be in the dining table. It's hard to put us together these days. You ask? Dad's schedule. And Mom's growing concern about family bonding is getting bigger and bigger.

"Nakabihis ka. Going somewhere again, anak? Napapadalas yata ang paglabas mo ngayon." Mom asked.

"Honey, that's fine. You can't expect him to be here the whole day. The boy's got boyfriend duties too. He's way too old to be staying here in the house anyway. Right son?" Dad defended me.

"Yeah. Thanks Dad."

"Why don't you bring her here Lance?" My brother joined the conversation. What's up with "her"? He gave me an evil grin.

Dad seemed to like my brother's suggestion. "Well I guess it's time we get to know your girlfriend too. Your brother seems to like her by the way he tells us stories. Honey, I will be home early tomorrow. Perfect time to set a family dinner."

"But Dad, you can't just..." I tried to butt in.

"Hindi ko pa siya napapasalamatan sa pag-aalaga sa'yo noong nagkasakit ka. Imbitahan mo na. Para naman makikilala na namin siya." My mother was in to Mac's idea too. I looked at Manang Nancy who was bringing a pitcher behind Malcolm. She nodded to me as if trying to convince me too.

I heaved a sigh. "Fine. I'll see what I can do." I finished my food and headed out. Now I have to find a way to convince Mace. Curse my brother. I should know he's up to something.

Why was I sweating too much?

——————————————————

I thought convincing Mace to go would be a tough conversation. But surprisingly, he was into it too. Telling me he's excited to finally see my parents. Ofcourse, to see my brother too.

Along the road I was trying to imagine how my parents would react when they see Mace. They should know Mace is not a "girlfriend". Malcolm must have referred Mace to be female that was why my parents addressed him as "her". They would be disappointed to know, perhaps. And that's what I'm afraid of. But I know they would be more disappointed if they find out that the relationship is just fake and temporary. So I just have to deal with introducing him for now.

"Ayos lang ba talaga sa'yo na makita ako ng parents mo?" Mace asked. He sounded worried and concerned.

"Why not?" I asked back.

"Pasensya ka na." He said.

"What for?"

"Baka hindi ako magustuhan ng parents mo kaya magso-sorry na ako habang wala pa tayo sa bahay nyo." He explained to me then completely went silent afterwards. Hindi ko na lang din siya kinausap. To me, he was nervous. Guess what? I was nervous too. I never felt like this introducing a girlfriend to my parents before. I should be, right? For one, I was not introducing a girlfriend. Ugh.

I didn't see Dad's car when we arrived. He's not home yet. Great. I just wished he went overtime and stayed in the office. That way, I can only introduce Mace to Mom. And maybe explain to her and Malcolm the truth about my relationship with Mace. I guess they would understand. Yeah, they would.

We walked to the door and suddenly, Mace held my arm. We both stopped walking. He was tensed. Well there's nothing else I could do. I have to make him feel better. So I held his hand, and locked it with mine.