Chapter 5 - Think Straight

"Thanks, man!" Impulse said, thanking the moustached brit for un-oxidizing the copper on his starter base. "I probably gotta get some - honey comb, right? - to wax it."

"Yeah, yeah." Mumbo nodded in confirmation. "And then it'll stay."

Two of the boatem members were just chatting between their base, exchanging casual laughs and giggles.

"Very cool, good to know," the brunet stated lightheartedly.

"Yep- Tips with Mumbo." The other man laughed.

"Yeah, exactly." Impulse smiled. "Nice 1.17 tutorial, I needed it-"

"WELL I'M SORRY THEN! WHAT DID YOU WANT ME TO DO? JUST SOMEHOW HELP YOU ALL OUT EVEN THOUGH I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW WHERE I WAS MYSELF?"

Both jumped as they heard distant shouting. They turned to see two other boatem members, screaming at each other at the top of their lungs, near Grian's base.

"I don't kNOW?" Pearl argued back, her voice sounding uncharastically loud. "MAYBE AT LEAST TRY TO SEE WHAT HAPPENED TO THE WORLD? YOU KNOW, SINCE YOU WERE LITERALLY THE OWNER OF IT?"

Mumbo and Impulse glanced at each other hesitantly, unsure whether they should try to intervene.

"OH YES, BECAUSE I WAS ALWAYS THE GREATEST OWNER, WASN'T I?! DO YOU KNOW WHAT THEY DID TO ME AFTER?"

"OH I DON'T KNOW, BUT CAN IT BE ANY WORSE THAN WHAT THEY DID TO THE WORLD!?"

"YES PEARL, IT CAN!" There was silence for a few seconds, while Pearl and Grian stared at each other for a moment. Then, Grian averted his gaze.

"...So you value the world above me, huh? You don't care about me, I get it."

"I- Grian, that's not what I meant-"

"Forget it, you wouldn't understand anyways. You don't care about me, that's fine."

Pearl looked somewhere between wanting to cry or retort, but was struggling to find what to say. Grian, on the other hand, had a blank expression, but from the tone of his voice you'd think he felt hurt.

Something sounded slightly off to Impulse, but he put it down to the heightened emotions in the situation. He didn't know what the two were arguing about, but it seemed pretty crucial and important to the both, and yet, he knew he needed to break it off before it escalated.
"Heyyy!! G-man!" Impulse said as cheerily as he possibly could, deciding to intervene and pull Grian out of that situation. "Am I allowed to show you something-? I just finished the skeleton spawner earlier, maybe you want to check that out?"

Grian nodded eagerly, glad to be out of that conversation, and approached the brunet, now ignoring the obviously also shaken up Pearl. Pearl had only just joined, and Impulse didn't really know much about her except that she was stubborn and clumsy, but for now, he just wanted to make sure that the first day of the new server wasn't immediately going to be the end of it, he didn't want it going downhill that fast.
He briefly glanced to Mumbo, silently telling him to maybe check up on Pearl, before turning to go with Grian to the spawner.

The second Grian was out of Pearl's view, he seemed slightly more relieved, although his breathing was still shaky.

"You okay, G?" Impulse asked once they neared the spawner.

"Yeah... I'm fine." Impulse wasn't convinced by the statement, and Grian didn't seem too sure in his words himself.