Chapter 8 - Suspiciously British Etiquette

Grian joined the game

Mumbo jumped at the buzzing in his pocket, like he had every time he'd had a notification for the past few hours. He was waiting for Grian, as Impulse had told him he'd been hurt earlier.

He walked around for a little, and eventually spotted the shorter hermit near his van starter base.

"Morning, Grian!" He greeted as he approached him, trying to act as normal as possible.

"Oh- Morning, Mumbo!" The gremlin seemed mildly surprised, but a small smile settled onto his face the next second. "Anything new?"

"Nothing much," Mumbo replied, trying to keep his smile as natural as possible. "Want some tea?" Grian burst out into laughter at that, doubling over. He winced slightly, but managed to cover the expression fairly easily.

"I drink tea, darling," Grian sniggered, straightening up (how homophobic /j) in order to take the pressure off the wound. If he was being honest, he'd forgotten about it during his time in the Watcher realm. He'd been exaggerating it to Impulse anyway, so he'd be more likely to be suspicious about Pearl. Push suspicion onto her as subtly as he could. Worst come to worst, he pull some sob story about how the Watchers had tortured him, and how he was a victim in this situation. Maybe even add a bit of self blame, that ought to convince them.

"Hmm? Where's that from?" Mumbo frowned, struggling to place the reference.

"Nevermind, something from outside this server that I watched," Grian brushed off. "And sure, I'd love that!" He could sense Mumbo wasn't being genuine - advantage of his abilities. Could sense stuff like that, but he could also sense concern. Strange.

Mumbo smiled with relief, bounding off to Treeza with Grian slightly behind. Inside, Mumbo had a teapot, next to a kettle that was currently boiling. Mumbo sat down on one of the chairs, gesturing at Grian to sit down. Holding back sniggers, Grian obliged; there were a few seconds of silence before Grian spoke.

"So..." He started, fiddling with a piece of bluetac. "Whatcha wanna talk about?" Mumbo simply shrugged in response.

"Anything? I dunno, what do you think of Pearl and Gem?" Part of Grian wanted to scoff - I mean, really very subtle there. If he was being honest, Mumbo probably wasn't trying to pry: he was a fairly straightforward, upcoming man. He was the sensible one of the pair.

"Gem's nice, not really talked with her though. Decent builder from what I've heard," Grian shrugged. "Gem is great after all." Mumbo burst out laughing, the gremlin following suit.

"I don't even know who started that," Mumbo managed to choke out through his laughter.

"Impulse maybe?" Grian shrugged. "Apparently he's building a mega factory on another note - looks incredible." Part of him wanted to tell them not to put much work into it, as it'd all be destroyed within the month. But then they'd try to evacuate. Maybe a few days before he destroyed it, he'd lock them all in, leaving them no escape for their final few days. The whitelist wouldn't be a problem, he'd hacked that ages ago. They'd never picked up on it. It was funny honestly.

"I swear though, Pearl's builds are insane, whereas I'm here with a caravan," Mumbo laughed, grabbing the now squealing kettle and pouring it into a teapot.

"She used to be better with colours though," Grian mused. "Her texture work is impeccable as ever though. 7 sugars please."

Mumbo glanced up, raising an eyebrow. "2," He said firmly, dipping a teabag into the pot. "We don't need you being any more hyper than normal."

Grian pouted. "Please?"

"No." Grian sighed, resting his head on his hands. "It's just annoying, why does she have to be here?" He realised only when seeing Mumbo's confused expression that he'd said too much.

"You do realise that whatever happened with you and her, you can talk about it if you want?"

Grian almost sighed in relief, he seemed to have taken the trauma assumption. It was easy enough to play that route.

"I know, it's just..." He trailed off. "She's just a reminder of everything that happened, and I really don't want to talk about it." He laughed bitterly, accepting the mug of tea and taking a swig, before grimacing. He then grabbed the sugar bowl, and added an extra 5 spoonfuls of sugar.

"That's fine, whenever you feel comfortable." Mumbo took a sip from his own cup of tea.

"Thanks," Grian smiled, adding another few spoonfuls of sugar. "Maybe I will, just give it time." He took another sip of tea. "I probably should be on my way, lots of stuff to do."

"Clearly," Mumbo mumbled, before replacing it with a grin. "Cool! Drop by anytime you want more tea." Grian smiled, nodding in agreement.

"Keep your sugar well-stocked," he added, grinning as he left the caravan. It was only as he left that Mumbo realised how strange that interaction actually was. Had Pearl done something to Grian? If so, was it a good idea having her on the server?

No, they shouldn't think about that. Wait until they learn the full context. Better plan of action, though Grian did seem fairly traumatised from it. He'd mentioned once to him about how high school had put him off similar servers and knives for life, maybe Pearl was linked to that?

No, let Grian have his privacy. Stop trying to analyse every little thing, he'd tell Mumbo when he was ready to. Whatever it was, it couldn't be that bad.

Fireworks cracked in the distance, dragging Mumbo back into reality. He should probably start working on his armchair. Apparently it looked very 'sus' according to Grian, something that confused Mumbo. Did he mean sustainable?

Probably not, but that's what he'd go with for now.

.

..

.

Grian landed roughly, cursing at the lack of rockets. There wouldn't be any creepers until night, and that was hours away. At least he wasn't completely in the wilderness - he was fairly near Bdubs mountain. He'd just walk there and use the height to fly back to Boatem.

He really should've checked, he mused on the walk. He'd just gotten too used to exerting his abilities and forgotten basics such as enough rockets for his elytra.

It was as he began to clamber up the mountain that he saw Tango. He glided down towards him, landing almost directly next to him; Tango jumped in surprise before laughing. Grian looked up, speechless for a second as he looked into the underneath of the mountain.

"And what is that?" Grian sniggered, a grin making its way onto his face.

"It's Fifi!" Tango responded, trying to keep his face as straight as possible, but ultimately failing to keep the smile off his face. "Every mountain needs to have a troll underneath."

"Right," Grian smiled. "What if the troll breaks out?"

The bright blond seemed to ponder it for a second, before shrugging, a wide grin on his face.

"Well- gotta head back to Boatem now," The smaller eventually muttered. "Keep the troll under control!"

"Will do!" Tango cackled. "Don't worry about it!"

And then, with a plastered smile, Grian began walking away.