Chapter 17 - Oh uh! How Unfortunate!

Grian's communicator buzzed with the failed call.

"Fruit's sake," he muttered, attempting to call SB again. Like the previous 2 times, it rang out for about a minute, before failing. He sighed, debating whether to try again. He pressed the call button for the third time with gritted teeth. "C'mon, pick up, pick up!"

But the other side didn't pick up.

Grian groaned against the cushion, tossing his communicator to the side in frustration.

"You sound happy." A sarcastic remark made itself known in time with the sound of footsteps from behind.

He rolled his eyes, barely turning to the ex-watcher. "Thanks."

EX snickered. "What's wrong? Your stupid partnder didn't pick up your call again?"

"Exactly! I don't know what he's doing at the moment, but I don't really have much time left before they'll start getting suspicious of my absence." Grian tch-ed, tapping his feet on the floor as he checked his player comms, scrolling up until he reached the message which was sent 10 minutes ago.

< XisumaVoid > Everyone.

< XisumeVoid > Meet up at spawn.

"Oh boo hoo, my brother's gonna kick your butt for not participating in a meeting, how unfortunate."

"Can you stop with the snide remarks? I get it already, you don't like me." EX rolled his eyes at that. Normally, Grian would make up an equally sarcastic retort, but wasn't really in the mood for another back-and-forth. "Whatever, screw this, I'm going." Grian grumbled, getting up and tucking his players comms in his pocket. "Stay here."

"You say that as if I'd be thrilled to go and see a group of people collectively weep over one of their friend's disappearance in your stead."

Grian chose to not acknowledge the last comment, and reached into his inventory to reequip his elytra. Clutching a stack of rockets, he turned back to the other for a moment, before briefly sighing and walking out of the house, the sound of fired rockets sounding a moment after.

Meanwhile EX was now left alone inside the walls of the starter base.

.

..

.

Grian crashed into the ground, grumbling a bit as he steadied himself back on his feet.

"Grian! There you are!" His head perked up, to see Mumbo approaching him, briefly stopping. "A...are you alright, mate?"

"Yeah, yeah, I'm good." Grian shrugged, barely dusting the dirt off his sweater. "What's up? I'm not late, right?"

Mumbo looked around, before shaking his head no. "No, you're not, don't worry." He said. "In fact, I think we might just be getting started.

Grian nodded briefly, before also looking around in the crowd. It was easy to spot the absence of some even with over twenty people grouped there. It was easy to see that the numbers had dwindled down, despite there only being three people absent.

Joe and Xisuma were probably setting up the meeting, and Jevin was still missing. The other hermits seemed to already be fairly uneased.

From where he stood, he could see Gem, Wels, and False grouped up a bit to the side, which was an odd combo of people by itself, but they also looked even tenser than everyone else there combined.