Chapter 12 - Colors are Hard

Jevin landed with surprising grace on top of the spawn egg, his gaze automatically searching for the red-sweatered gremlin. He was relieved when he saw him, and with surprisingly few injuries as well. Apart from being slightly shaky on his feet, he looked perfectly fine.

"Is everything okay?" Jevin asked, turning to Xisuma. "Nobody hurt?"

"Nobody hurt," Xisuma confirmed. "It went surprisingly well, easy enough in and out." Jevin sighed in relief, his gaze turning to the rest of the people there. Pearl was staring at Grian, head tilted, seeming to be muttering something under her breath. Grian seemed unaffected, staring coolly back. However the second Pearl looked away, Jevin could've sworn his gaze turned murderous.

In an effort to interrupt this, Jevin walked over to Pearl, a smile on his face.

"Hey Pearl! How's it going!"

Pearl's head moved to face, seemingly surprised.

"Going pretty good, glad Grian's back," she smiled, genuine relief on her face. As far as he'd been able to tell, Pearl and Grian had known each other for a long time - before Hermitcraft certainly - it was only natural she'd be so concerned. The strangely familiar but also antagonistic relationship between them was strange, and one none of the Hermits seemed to understand, least of all Jevin.

"You've known him a long time then?" Jevin voiced his thoughts aloud.

Pearl nodded, an almost nostalgic look on her face. "Too long arguably," she laughed. "Met him when we were kids, drifted for a while before he invited me to his server. Then- nevermind." She stopped, seeming to have said more than she intended.

"It's fine, I don't mean to push," Jevin hastily added, glancing over at Grian. Grian was staring at the two of them with an air of suspicion, that he soon masked when he noticed Jevin looking. Part of Jevin wanted to register that as odd, but he was probably just on edge after Evil X.

"It's fine, it just got complicated," Pearl brushed off, forcing a smile. "Nothing we could do to stop it. Anyway, enough about me. How's your base going? Got any plans?" Jevin couldn't help but notice how much she was avoiding the topic but chose not to bring it up.

"Planning on doing a slime-esque base," he explained. "The glass'll be a pain to grind though." Pearl paused, searching through her inventory quickly.

"I have some lime glass in my inventory if you want that," she offered. "Just to get you started." Jevin smiled, grabbing the glass she was holding out, turning it over and frowning.

"This is blue," he stated, slightly confused. Maybe she was colour blind or something.

Pearl laughed, seeming slightly put off by that though.
"Right, sorry," she apologised, blinking a few times. "Colours are hard."

Jevin was saved from answering by Xisuma coughing to get all the Hermit's attention.

"Alright! Hermits! I'd just like to say, I'm so glad we're all safe. False, Iskall, Impulse, Mumbo and Scar volunteered to come on a rescue mission for Grian, which evidently succeeded. No permanent damage has been done, but I think it's best for all of us to be cautious still. As I'm sure you're all aware but I regret to confirm, it was Evil Xisuma behind all of this."

A shrinking sense of dread began growing in Jevin's stomach (if slimes could even have stomachs). He'd met Evil Xisuma a couple of times over the years, and it had never ended well. He'd tried to destroy the server in his earlier days but seemed to have gotten less serious over the years.

"Who's Evil Xisuma?" Gem called from the crowd, and it hit Jevin that most of the newer Hermits wouldn't know who he was.

"Well, as his name suggests, he's my brother," Xisuma explained, with a certain level of reluctance. "Except, y'know, evil."