Chapter 14 - Existential Dread, Pour the Gasoline

"So, Av-ick-sier, Av- Ax- A-vi-xier, Avxier?" Jaxa began, before grimacing. "God, I can't pronounce half of these names to save my life- anyways, why did you decide to join the Watchers, Tommy?"

Tommy shifted uncomfortably, seeming to hesitate a lot.

"Any answer's fine, Tommy, I'm just curious more than anything."

"Mostly to, um, get away froma certain someone on my server," Tommy mumbled, avoiding Jaxa's gaze. "They've been... a bit of a dick to me and my friends for the past couple of months."

Jaxa hummed with acknowledgement, tapping a finger on their desk.

"Okay, that's understandable," Jaxa smiled reassuringly, but at the same time blatantly forced. "There's been a couple other Watchers who've said similar." They paused for a moment, brushing their hair out of their eyes. His attention diverted when he realized that it was significantly shorter, having been cut to a more masculine style.

"Your hair-" Tommy said hesitantly.

"Oh, that," Jaxa laughed. "Result of multiple gender crisis- crisi? I dunno, and mild peer pressure from a friend. What was I going to ask again?" They frowned, struggling to remember. "Ah! Right - how are you doing?"

"Uh-" Tommy seemed confused by the question. "I'm doing okay?"

"That's um, that's good," Jaxa mused, seeming to be struggling to come up with anything to follow up with. "Just 'cause I don't want anyone to be really upset by something that's avoidable." They paused again, before laughing slightly. "Oh god, I sound like one of those HR advisers, please let me know if you ever want me to shut up."

"You don't want people to be upset," Tommy paused, trying to work through what they'd just said. "But you're part of a creepy stalker organization?"

Jaxa winced. They laughed nervously "Right- Um, that's a big flaw in my argument. Shut up."

Tommy sniggered.

There was a silent pause. Jaxa opened their mouth, before closing it again.

"I mean, are you sure? 'Cause like, you can talk to me about anything, you know that Tommy, right? You know that, hm."

"Yeah, I just, I just don't feel like I'm actually doing much here."

"Well that's fine Tommy, that's fine. I mean, you've always wanted to join the Watchers from a young age, right?"

"...No?" The taller raised a brow, much more confused.

Jaxa seemed unaffected. Their head tilted slightly, "But you've heard of them, right? Surely Phil would've told you. Phil's your father - am I allowed to reference your father? I mean, surely Phil would've told you?"

"I don't- know?"

"Are you sure? I mean, your memory's not any better than mine and mine's shit at the best of the times." They laughed. "Are you sure? If you think about it."

"No."

"Oh. Really? I mean, because he's certainly heard of them. He was very strongly against them, I mean, you hate Phil, right?"

Tommy no longer had any clue of what was going on, speaking of which, what the fuck is going on?

"Well- no?"

"But I mean, it makes sense. Of course you'd hate him. Any normal person would. You wouldn't like him after everything. He destroyed your country with Dream and he killed your brother - why would you like him?"