Chapter 22 - Lying is a Disease and You, sir, Are Terminally Ill With it

"It's been… 15 minutes." Doc clicked briefly after checking the time. "Where do you think they've gone?"

"Do you reckon they're alright?" Gem questioned, worry seeping into her voice.

"I'm sure they're fine." X reassured, though he himself was in reality too tired for this. He took his eyes off of the wary crowd, and gazed into the nearby forest absentmindedly, able to feel every blink he did, every breath he exhaled. 

"Though it has been a while, I wonder where they went."

Tango repeated a similar gesture right besides him, though he instead seemed to find the bright blue sky appealing. "You know, it just hit me that we should've probably sent someone else along with Bdubs." He mumbled, tearing his gaze.

"What if- what if they-"

The admin's head snapped back. "They'll be fine. I'm sure." 

He faked as much confidence in those words as he could, in hopes that he could get himself to believe in them as well. Was it denial? Anger? He didn't know. He didn't want to think about it. They'll be fine. Grian survived that long in captivity, he's stronger than he lets on. If anyone were to try taking Bdubs, he would never go down without a fight. Even Pearl seemed much stronger than she looks. They'll be fine.

Without realizing, a shiver went down his spine. Anxiety. Paranoia. Those were the feelings he recognized oh so well in this situation, though they felt much, much more strong. It felt as if his brain wanted to collapse on itself, his body wanted to shut itself down alongside it.

The side effects of being the person leading the entire group through this disaster were starting to show.

“You know, I’m starting to doubt that this was just an innocent toilet break or something of the sort.” Doc mumbled loud enough to get everyone’s attention. “The fact that they wandered off is a bit suspicious in itself.”

“That’s… true, I guess.” Keralis replied.

“Don’t just say things like that!” Impulse retorted, extremely uneased at the suggestion like most of the others. “Grian would never.”

“Yeah, Grian maybe, but what about Pearl?” Doc sighed. “I am wishfully thinking that Grian may just be unwittingly involved somehow, but I reckon at least one of them, or maybe even both of them, are involved with this situation in one way or another.”

“As much as I’d hate to say, Doc’s right.” Cub murmured half-heartedly. “Anyone else notice how Grian’s been acting a little strange after Pearl got added to the server?”

“Can anyone that’s been interacting with Grian this season vouch for that?”

“Thing is, I don’t think he’s been interacting with anyone that much.” Mumbo muttered half-heartedly. “It feels like he’s been distant.”

“That’s one, he’s usually pretty open and active.” Tango said. “He’s also been leaving the server more often for ‘a thing on another server’, if I remember correctly. Does anyone know what it is?”

When no one answered, it was clear no one knew.

"Has anyone ever tried asking him what that 'thing' is and what the 'server' is?" Iskall asked.

More silence.

“You think something happened to him there?” Scar asked reluctantly.