Chapter 32: Can You Hear, Can You See?

TW. Fairly graphic torture. Not the blood and bones kind, but still torture nonetheless.

------

Chains rattled through the air, and the tranquil silence was broken by a pained cough.

The world was a blur, the air was uneasy, threatening. It was suffocating .

Another cough rang out.

An array of shady figures stood firmly at front. Piercing gazes cut through the tension in anticipation.

There was one last singular cough, and then there was no longer a pause. They were properly choking in pain. Disrupting that was the sound of a single pair of hands clapping.

"Perfect, we're right on schedule!" The shorter watcher giggled, turning to the others, "They're coming back to themselves."

Remaining watchers exchanged amused looks. The one leading the bunch had a smile of malice as they snapped their fingers, humming smoothly. "Zeichi, that's your cue."

The mentioned watcher separated themselves from the crowd with a step back.

"Thank you, Nixye," She dipped a bow politely, promptly rising back up. "I'll be heading out, excuse me."

She began walking to the exit at the back, with Jaxa giving her a thumbs up as she walked out.

"Best lucks, Zei!" He called out loudly, waving at the open door.

The watcher left the room. Nixye clasped their hands, regathering the attention in the room.

"Splendid, simply excellent! Now," The portal watcher's grin turned sinister as they turned back to Iskall. "Gazes back to our captive, peers. They've awoken."

Eyes went back to their original view of interest, the figure still gurgling out in pain. They laid limply at the corner of the room, binded painfully tight by magic chains. Though, really, the chains were not a necessity, as they were simply too weak to move regardless. The only use it had is to hold them up from doing anything horribly reckless.

Speaking of, Iskall was irregularly pale, sickly even. Cracks of electricity sizzled throughout their skin. Occasionally, a small cry of hurt let itself out. They were only slightly struggling in their binds, twitching at every sharp spark of agony, all of their energy absorbed and completely gone.

Nixye hummed in content, eyes glinting behind their mask. That's the effect it's supposed to have, indicating the success so far.

Then, they looked away, addressing the younger division head besides them. "Jaxa, have you ever turned a player before this?"

He blinked, thinking, "Of course, I have. But Rache- er, Zeichi was a... little more willing than, uh- this. "

He gestured vaguely to the crippled up hermit. Nixye nodded in satisfaction.

"Then, help me out on this," They spoke with a small smile. "Your division's part of the mission has ended anyways. You could lend your magic, I'll need mine."

Jaxa shrugged, coming forth. "Fine by me."

He walked over to the hermit, who involuntarily flinched in that instant. Jaxa kneeled down, and observed, as more of the subtler turning symptoms were now more visible up close.