Part 170

Mula sa Baguio, nagstay na lang kami sa condo namin. We both had to report for work and tuwang-tuwa rin sila Nicole when they found out na nagkaayos na kaming dalawa.

"Wifey."sabi ko kay Pat. "I want to visit your parents sa weekend."

"Why?"

"I haven't talked to them since I left."sagot ko sa kanya.

Pero sa totoo lang, I wanted to go to Laguna kasi gusto kong makausap sila Tito Jessie. I want to formally ask for Pat's hand and I realized that I'm finally ready. Buti na lang din at pumayag na si Pat.

Pagdating namin dun, pinaghanda kami ni Tita Emily ng lunch and I can tell that they were happy na andun ako. Habang kumakain kami, nagkwento lang si Tito tungkol sa trabaho.

"Tita, Tito."sabi ko. Napatingin naman sa 'kin si Pat habang sumusubo siya. There's no other time to tell them but now.

"Gusto ko po sanang hingin formally yung blessing niyo para sa pagpapakasal po namin ni Pat."sabi ko and narinig kong umubo si Pat. I stopped myself from laughing.

"You always had our blessing anak. Kayo lang naman 'tong may ayaw eh."sabi ni Tita and they both smiled at me.

"Pero sigurado ka ba dyan? Paano yung phobia mo? We don't want to pressure you. Okay lang naman."sabi ni Tito.

"Sure po ako tito."sabi ko and I took a deep breath. I didn't expect the conversation to be that short but somehow I'm thankful na it was.

After namin maglunch, umakyat na muna kami ni Pat sa kwarto niya. Napansin ko na hindi mapakali si Pat and I know she wanted to say something.

"Agnes, sure ka bang magpapakasal pa rin tayo?"

"Wifey, I have made up my mind on this, okay? I would... I would do that."

"Agnes you know that we don't have to get married, you know that right?"

"Yes, but I want to. Pat I've watched you from afar, I've been so scared of falling in love with you kasi natakot ako na baka I might not have the strength to push this until the end, alam mo yun? I am scared na mahalin kita and you get tired the way that Raisa got tired of me and --"

"I will never get tired of you Agnes. Hindi ko naman kailangan 'tong kasal eh. I just need your commitment. I just need you to promise na hindi tayo susuko." I smiled.

"I know, and I won't. I don't doubt it. I don't doubt whatever we have wifey, I don't doubt the love we have for each other. But I want to marry you because this is a promise I'm making for you. This is exactly the promise that I want the world to see. I can give you a lot of promises but I want the world to know that I am making THAT promise."sagot ko.

"Agnes, we're not getting married for the world."

"I know, but I want to promise you na when times get tougher than it is, you can yell at me and tell me na I promised you this. And I want to marry you kasi mahal kita. I am marryjng you because I want to give myself fully to you. I am marrying you Pat."sabi ko sa kanya.

"And to hell with this phobia. If I have to faint three times in the middle of saying my wedding vows, or in the middle of the ceremony, I would. I would push through with it. Kasi alam ko na you'll be there. Alam ko na when I wake up you'll be there and there's nothing to be afraid of."sabi ko sa kanya. Pat came closer and hugged me so I hugged her tighter.

"Pat."sabi ko when we finally broke our hug. "Ituloy na natin 'to."

"Aji, I want you to be sure kasi pwede namang hindi na tay--"

"Look under your marimba."sabi ko sa kanya and she looked surprised.

"What?"

"Look under your marimba."ulit ko then she walked over it and checked yung ilalim.

"Let me."sabi ko sa kanya and she looked at me.

I just smiled as I walked closer to her at kinuha ko na yung singsing. I faced Pat at lumuhod ako sa harap niya. Biglang kumabog yung dibdib ko. I'm not sure how to get the question out at bigla akong kinabahan.

"Pat, you told me before that love should be sure. Pat, I'm here now to tell you, I'm sure. Are you?"tanong ko.

Pat was crying but she was also smiling at me. I waited for her to say something at nararamdaman kong kumakabog yung dibdib ko. Then finally she nodded and I felt this wave of relief.

"Yes Agnes, I'm sure."

I hugged Pat at di ko na rin naiwasang maiyak. Now, I understand. Having to hold Pat now made me realize why people had this sparkle in their eyes when they talk about marriage cause this feeling that I'm having right now, it is something I can't explain pero all I know is I'm willing to do this over and over again for Pat.

And this is it. We're finally getting married.