Chapter 43

"I tried to make things right after that argument, Enzo," I said as I wiped my tears

"I tried to make things right after that argument, Enzo," I said as I wiped my tears. "I tried to be a better listener to you. I tried to find the right words to say when you share your problems with me again . . . but you never gave me a chance." I sobbed as I continued watching the calm sea. "You never talked to me about your hardships anymore. You didn't give me a chance to prove myself . . . that I can be a better person for you."

He sighed. "You never know how many times I tried to give you a chance, Ruth. When I stayed after that big argument that we had, I wanted you to ask me, to ask about how my thoughts are going, to convince me to tell you why I am being indifferent. But you never did. You just became sweeter and better in bed but it wasn't what I wanted, Ruth."

He went silent, making me glance at him. He's still watching the sea with his hands on both sides of his pockets.

"All I wanted back then was for you to check on me. But you still didn't do it. You kept on waiting and waiting until I told you everything voluntarily, like I used to do, but I couldn't do that anymore, considering how you always reacted whenever I did."

He looked at me with his serious face as his jaw clenched.

"Now, I'm taking you back. I can't let just anyone have you. I had you for years and you can't leave me just like that for some stranger that you met here."

I gulped. "Enzo . . . why do you want to have me back? I made you feel that way. I made you question your whole existence. And you never even talked to me about marriage. Why are you so mad that I have someone new again when you broke up with me?"

He gulped as he looked away. "My ego can never let you replace me with a stranger you just met here. I love you but I can't marry you before because you were that way whenever we talked about a problem. I was mad because I will never accept that you can easily replace me, more so, someone you met in a province, Ruth. You can't do that to me. We were together for six years and you will replace me in just more than a month? That easily?" He scoffed.

I gulped as I turned to the sea once again. "I am not coming with you."

"You are!" he shouted. "Why? Aren't you done being fucked by that asshole?!"

I glared at him. "Don't you ever call him that because he was never an asshole-"

"He is, the moment that he impregnated someone but didn't take the responsibility for it!"

My mouth parted. He smirked.

"You thought I didn't know that he is with his family now?" He chuckled. "You like being a mistress, Ruth? 'Yan ang ipapalit mo sa akin?" He laughed once again as he looked at the sea. "You will stoop that low just to replace me?" He looked at me once again. "Fuck, lalaking-lalaki ka na?"

I slapped his face so hard, his cheek turned red. "Don't you dare talk to me that way! Wala ka nang karapatang pagsalitaan ako ng gan'yan, Enzo! Hindi na kita boyfriend!"