32. a few steps closer

Mr. Styles

What was I thinking? The man chastised himself for the impulsive gesture to Louis, not to mention that he'd decided to gather the lab reports himself, not liking how close Louis and Evan seemed to be getting. He had seen them laughing together and talking with Riley and it bothered him. He hated that about himself: his jealousy that flared like a lighter fluid induced fire, sudden and leaping at any sign of another boy taking interest in Louis.

Of course Louis should have friends and make new ones throughout high school. It was healthy, and normal. He wanted Louis to have a full life but his insecurity got the best of him when he saw his boy bonding with his new friend and lab partner, Evan.

Louis should be with someone like Evan, instead of him. Someone his age, to share life experiences with like prom and going to college. A part of Mr. Styles knew that Louis missed him, a lot. He saw it in Louis' yearning gaze as he'd rushed to hand him the paper, and looked into the man's eyes. Some impulse had urged him to touch Louis' lovely face, and stroke his cheek.

Louis' wistful expression had tugged at his heart. The man missed the feeling of Louis' soft, warm skin that drove him crazy with desire. He needed to be more careful and mindful of himself, for both of their sake. Mr. Styles shook his head, trying to dismiss his thoughts that were going in circles. It was time to wrap up class.

-

Mr. Styles was one of the last teachers to leave at the end of the day, having decided to grade some tests before leaving so he could relax when he got home. As he walked through the nearly empty high school parking lot, he held his car keys loosely in his hand, jingling them around a bit as he mulled over what he would make for dinner that night. Aside from a few birds chirping it was peacefully quiet.

He was almost to his car when he saw Shawn lingering at a row towards the middle, glancing around. Shawn spotted him and walked briskly over. Harry cursed under his breath, turning to face the man who just couldn't take a fucking hint.

"What do you want?" Harry called out loudly before Shawn reached him. No response. "How did you find me?" He steeled himself for whatever was coming, and set his briefcase carefully on the asphalt, standing by the front of his car.

Shawn came to a stop a few feet away from him. He looked smug, clearly pleased with himself for surprising the man.

"Hi Harry," he said with a hint of irritation, ignoring the questions. "Why did you block my number?"

"Because you're annoying and I'm not interested. How do you know where I work?" Mr. Styles raised his hands, slowly cracking a few knuckles and clasping his hands near his chest, subtly preparing to defend himself physically if necessary. Shawn glared at him slightly, but he wasn't afraid of this twat. Shawn reminded him of an aggressive chihuahua that growled and nipped on your heels but did no real damage.

"Well, you and your 'fiancé," he paused to do dramatic air quotes, "were talking about the Durham High soccer team and whatever, it wasn't that hard to figure out."

"Why can't you just take no for an answer?" Harry asked exasperatedly. "We wouldn't be a good match. We're both strong personalities and want to be the one in control." He was surprised when Shawn closed the distance to jab a finger in his chest. Harry swatted his hand away but Shawn leaned in closer and raised his chin, still much shorter than Harry. Definitely a chihuahua.

"Because you're lying."

Louis

It had been a successful soccer practice, he was a good tired and not exhausted. He was looking forward to a hot shower when he got home and a quiet afternoon of studying and playing his keyboard. Louis was passing by the faculty parking lot when he noticed two men standing close. He squinted, realizing one of them was Mr. Styles.