35. call me Marcel

L

Louis flipped down the driver's side vanity mirror and stared at his reflection. "It's just an interview with my secret lover's cousin," He ghosted his fingers across his fringe, smoothing a flyaway and slapping the visor shut. "No big deal, I can do this." He shivered from the refreshing gusts of air conditioning but left it on, not wanting to sweat through his nice shirt.

He slid on his sunglasses and queued up the long 'driving' playlist that he had made. He had a lot of free time on his hands lately, and music was one of the few things he could still enjoy. Upbeat songs from artists like Twenty One Pilots and Halsey were alternated with calm and relaxing ones, like the 1975 and Lana del Rey.

As he drove, a song that Mr. Styles had once recommended to him began playing and his pulse quickened at the memory. They had been sitting together quietly in the man's house. Louis' leg was lazily slung over the man's lap and he was being held. They were talking casually and sharing music, a habit they'd begun that chaotic day when they had skipped out on school. Me. Styles had fascinating takes on lyrics and expressed himself more freely when discussing music. Moments like those were so special to the boy. Louis missed him.

After he'd been driving awhile he started to get antsy, so he pulled over at a rest stop right off of the highway. As he got out of his car he smiled to himself, recalling the highly illogical but pleasant dream he'd had about himself and Mr. Styles making this trip together. How they'd kissed with abandon, pressed up against the side of his car.

Could it ever be like that?

Louis drove slowly and carefully once he was near the campus, having never been here before. The details of his dream had been fuzzy but he felt a slight sense of déjà vu when he found the entrance to the grounds, flanked by low stone walls and bright spring flowers.

Students walked down the sidewalks alone or in groups. Some chatting, others listening to music. The campus was beautiful and bustling. It was both exciting and scary to be in the midst of it.

He was lucky enough to find an available visitors' parking space in a lot somewhat nearby the building he was headed for. Checking the time he saw he was early but that didn't do much to calm his nerves. Louis had time to explore a little, so he asked a nearby student who appeared friendly where he could get some coffee.

He ventured further into the campus, trying to take in everything bustling around him. The stone buildings were impressive and looming, with expansive open fields between them that students cut across. It was a bit intimidating and he felt small, but he smiled despite that.

He judged others by appearances as he waited in line at the student cafe, deeming whether they had similar styles or demeanors to his, wondering if he would fit in and who he might befriend. He made eye contact with a boy in front of him who flashed a kind smile, giving him a little nod. Louis returned the smile.

"Hey," the stranger greeted warmly, running a hand casually through his tousled, brown hair. "Do we have English together? You look familiar."

Louis shook his head. "No, I'm actually here for an interview. I'm still a senior in high school." He laughed nervously as he anticipated meeting the other Mr. Styles.

"Oh, my bad man. Are you from around here?" The line moved up and they took a few steps forward.

"New Hampshire. I've always wanted to explore away from home for college. I've only been to Boston a few times, cities are exciting." Louis felt kind of lame but whatever, it was true.

The boy nodded. "I'm from Boston, I could show you around sometime if you'd like?"

Louis paused. "Yeah, that would be great thanks!"