Chapter 10

Even with his hands clamped over his ears, Zane could feel the steady rise in his heartbeat as Ru sang. Her voice had always been extremely persuasive, but with one of her gloves off, there was no stopping the control she had over you. 

She always sang with her eyes closed, making it difficult for her to see the damage she was causing, and when Connor fell to the floor, heart about to beat out of his chest, Zane knew he had to take action. 

Shouting would never work, Ru had music playing on her headphones, as well as her voice being quite loud. It was the time for drastic measures.  

Zane launched himself forward, and tackled Ru to the ground, cutting off her song. Landing on the floor, Ru was not happy with his reaction and kneed Zane directly in the round-tables. Wincing while trying to stand, Zane elbowed her in the gut.  

Zane felt hand on his shoulders as he was picked up and thrown the other direction, landing dangerously close to the dumbbell rack.  

Ru looked at Connor. "God, did I do that? Nevermind, I know the answer. Felix, get him to the infirmary." 

Seeming rather annoyed, grumbling something unintelligible under her breath Felix slung Connor over her shoulder and jogged out of the FTR. 

To Zane's horror, more was going on than Connor's unconsciousness. 

Aunt Ellie walked in, laughing along with Dr. Charles. Seeing Felix run by with a limp Connor, Remy and Ollie following, they stopped and scanned the room with stunned faces.  

Zanes' eyes landed on their intertwined fingers and he held in a groan. He was happy for his mother, dating Dr. Charles after Zane's father had left them when he was young, but he hated witnessing it.  

Dr. Charles whispered goodbye to Aunt Ellie and left to follow Felix to the infirmary. Ellie approached her son.  

"What happened?" she asked. "Why is Connor half dead? Why are Ru and Darci walking around whistling like nothing is out of the normal- Zane, why are you legs crossed in pain?" 

Zane blinked, just trying to figure out how to answer the first question. "Uh, Ru gave Connor a little demo, Connor is not feeling well now and Ru kneed me because I stopped her from singing." 

Albert snorted, nuzzling Ellie's leg. Zane gave the baby rhino a thankful glance, knowing that his cuteness would soften his mothers rage.  

Ellie gave Albert a quick pet before putting her hands on her hips. She began a lecture about being responsible, not provoking the girls, and leading by example. But Zane couldn't focus on her words, having seen a new sparkle on his mothers hand.  

"Mom." he interrupted. "What's on your hand?"

He prayed it wasn't a ring.  

 "Oh, before you made a huge mess, Charlie proposed! We were just coming in to tell you." Ellie said, happiness blooming in her eyes.  

It was a ring. 

Zane felt like an overprotective father. His mom couldn't get married! What if Dr. Charles broke her heart again! What if the FBI found out and attacked at the wedding! He didn't want his friends and family to be hurt. 

Ellie placed her hands on his shoulders, and let out a little sigh. "We'll be fine, Zane. Your gloves have worked for years, and we've been safe for years. Things won't change." 

Zane ran a hand through his hair. "I know, they just got so close last time." 

So close.  

And little did Zane know, they were getting a whole lot closer.