Chapter 31

It was the day of the wedding.  

Ru ran around in circles making sure everything was perfect. Dresses, make-up, decorations, and she even had to frost the cupcakes herself because the bakery hadn't had enough time. When she peeked into the boys hotel room to make sure everything was going smoothly, Connor had slammed the door in her face claiming rather defensively that everything was fine- while she heard Zane mutter something about the coffee pot being on fire. 

Either way, Hawaii was great. It was warm, tropical and a vast contrast to the deepening Christmas cold that had settled on Minnesota a month earlier.  

Later, Ru chased Darci around with a plate of eyeshadow. She was glad to see that her friend had returned to normal- talking a lot more, not afraid to jump up and fight someone- but there was a new undertone to her that seemed a lot darker than before.  

"Darci!" Ru shouted. "It's just a little makeup!" 

"Keep your colored dust and horse hair brushes away from my face!" Darci yelled, diving into a closet.  

"Just listen!" Felix said. "Maybe she'll forget about the heels!" 

Ru could almost hear Darci shiver at Felix's comment. It had been a fight to get the dresses on the two girls- for they shared the same opinion for fanciful clothing, but Ru had worked her magic. And she was definitely not forgetting about the heels.  

A half an hour later, the six girls walked down the hotel hallway to the brides room. Darci was leaning heavily against Remy, her feet wobbling over the three-inch heels. They looked like a mob of highschoolers that had been asked to wear their school colors for homecoming, and they had obligated themselves- wearing almost eight different shades of blue altogether.  

Together, they got a nervous-wrecked Ellie ready for her big day. 

 "It'll be fine," Marin assured her.  

Ollie nodded. "You look wonderful." 

 "Flowers usually wilt around me," Felix said. "But these ones have a will stronger than the rest." 

Aunt Ellie gave a nervous giggle. Everyone knew about Felix's struggle with plants. "You better quit touching them or they won't make it through the night." 

"True." Felix let go and had Ollie finish weaving the blue daisies into Aunt Ellie's gorgeously styled hair. 

Ru was proud of her handywork. The bride was absolutely beautiful. Dr. Charles was a lucky guy.  

Or was he.