5 years later (Darci)

"Hey, hey, hey," Darci said, placing a comforting hand on the kids shoulder. "Jamie, breathe." 

Jamie inhaled through her nose, and exhaled unsteadily, slowing her heart rate. Darci stayed right by the young girl's side until she was able to breathe regularly. She helped her up.  

"Alright campers," Darci said, turning back to the group. "As you can see, Jamie is impossibly fast, correct? But in those last few yards, to get farther ahead, she pushed herself too hard. It might seem like a good idea at the time, but in the aftermath, you saw it wasn't. This is why you have to learn your limits." 

Darci continued to teach them the consequences of pushing yourself too hard, having all too much knowledge about it. When she was finished, she smiled, the summer sun making her dark hair glow. "Let's head back to Cabin Four. Everyone can get changed so we can swim at the lake!" 

The campers cheered and started to run towards the cabins. Darci watched them go, the grin sticking to her face. She was reminded all too much of her younger self as she saw the campers grow older, and that made her happy, but it also brought on feelings of melancholy. She saw her friends in them too.  

Darci saw kids who struggled with their emotions like Felix, kids who had a secret they were afraid of like Zane, kids who had no idea what to do with their lives like Marin, kids who were just like Connor, asking questions at every turn. 

Her face fell.  

She missed them.