Chapter 34

Zane could barely believe Connors enthusiasm. He never struck Zane as the dancing type. But hey, a little peanut butter brownies could make you do anything.  

An instrumental song began, and Ellie found her son, encouraging him to dance with her. Zane agreed and they took to the floor.  

They swayed to the music, doing a little three step because neither of them could slow dance. His mom smiled. "Are you having fun?" 

Zane nodded. "Yes. But not as much as Connor." 

Ellie laughed, a petal falling out of her hair as she threw her head back. 

She took his hands, making it look like they were two awkward middle schoolers that were forced onto the floor. "How has your anxiety been treating you? Better? Worse? I know the fly to Hawaii was hard-" 

"Fine, fine." he assured, remembering when he was asked to take off his gloves at the airport security. "It's all fine, Mom." 

Ellie rubbed the back of his palm with her thumbs. "That's good. Things are going to get better." 

"I hope." 

Felix appeared. "May I cut in?" 

Zanes' eyes widened. 

Ever since he had Blake The Clone kiss her, he had been avoiding Felix. He was full-on clueless. Did he like her? She liked him. But for how long? He had no idea. So he made a stupid move. "Uh, no." 

 Felix blinked, clearly surprised. But she recovered quickly, putting her hands on her hips. "Seriously, Zane? We need to talk." 

Zane chewed on his lip. "Do we?" 

Felix glared, having lost every inch of her good mood. "Yes. When did you get so immature?" 

"Felix..." Zane trailed off on her name. He wanted to tell her. He wanted to tell everyone. But he couldn't. Or they were all dead. "I just can't." 

He watched as her tense stature became a tight ball of anger and hurt. "Fine." 

Zane watched as she stormed away, and tried to get a brownie. But as soon as she picked up a plate, it shattered in her hand. This only made her more furious. Connor was victimized- being thrown out of his own seat so she could take it.  

He turned back to his mom, who still held his hands as she watched the ordeal. "Mom, I'm sorry." 

She gave him a smile that didn't quite reach her eyes. "It's fine, honey. You and Felix have been through a lot together. It would make sense if you only saw her as a sister." 

That made Zane pause. Did he only see her as a sister? Her scary glares and temperamental attitude didn't seem sisterly. But it had never been directed at him either. Only eyerolls and annoyed acts of butting in. She had always been subtly protective of him, and had he taken it as a sister-like instinct or something a little more? 

"Plus," his mom continued. "It won't matter for long." 

Zane was hit with abrupt bemusement. "Wait, what?" 

In his confusion, Ellie did something unexpected, something she had been trying to prevent for years.  

In the brief moment it took for Zane to react, she ripped off his gloves.