Chapter 39

Marin dove over the top of Albert as the ceiling crumbled on top of them. She didn't want the little rhino getting hurt.  

Sheetrock pelted her body, and a metal bar narrowly missed her head. People dropped from helicopters, grabbing Jase and throwing handcuffs over his wrists.  

The Sergeant parachuted down, his sharp, angular face looking vaguely pleased. He took off his cap, revealing white hair. "Well done, kids. Fantastic, really. Charles, great show too. 'Well, I've always been taller than you'? That's great!" 

Marin blinked and stood up, brushing dust off her dress. Albert snorted and trotted over to the Sergeant, his little bow-tie bouncing.  

Aunt Ellie appeared, having returned. She hugged Dr. Charles, and then Zane, returning his gloves. "I'm sorry guys, we had to do this stupid act. It was the Sergeants idea." 

"But," Dr. Charles interjected. "We got the Jase guy off our tail." 

 Marin was confused. It was all an act? Everything was? Or just the last five minutes?  

Connor stated the questions she had thought, almost down to the word. Nothing made sense. 

The Sergeant led them out of the room and sat them down at the large front steps. They were covered in dust, a white powdery substance that looked a lot like flour. Marin sat down next to Felix, who still held Zanes hand, even though his gloves were back on. She smiled, hoping it would blossom into something. Plus, it would get Zane off her back.  

The Sergeant took a deep breath. "As you know, some FBI agents have been after you since the knowledge got out that you existed. It was difficult to keep you safe, and discreet, for some of you had the nature to boombox the ears out of places." His eye landed on Ru, who smiled sheepishly. "Anyway, we needed a way to get rid of Jase and test you eight in the process." 

"Test us?" Connor said. "What are you testing us on?" 

"More importantly," Ollie added. "Did we pass?" 

The Sergeant held up a hand. "I'll get to that in a moment. We sent Ellie to be a double agent, and built a plan on what would happen. And we've been testing your reactions. This test wasn't something you could pass or not. It was just to get information for our next decision. And we've come to the conclusion." 

Marin gulped bracing herself.  

"We're separating you. For your own safety."