Chapter Twenty-One

-------------------------------

Winners Prize

-------------------------------

The heated blacktop river, twisting and turning over hills and bumps. A captivating flow that will take you anywhere you wish to go. Turning bends and coming to a halt at red lights. Cracks and holes caused by weather and wear. The road is a place that can be both exhilarating and terrifying.

Jocelyn sat patiently, hands on her lap, fingers clenched against the fabric of her skirt. She spotted her nervous look in the side mirror and tried to relax by making funny expressions. This was her first time going shopping with someone else.

On Yllora, she only shopped when absolutely necessary, and even then, all she had to do was make an order with the stock department, and it would be delivered within an hour. When she arrived on Earth and sold parts of her ship for significant sums of money, she turned to shopping as a stress relief.

Barbara had offered to get out with her, but they always cancelled and ended up video chatting instead. This was truly going to be the first time she had someone physically alongside her while shopping.

She was excited.

Does he know that I'm nervous? Should I be nervous? I mean, it's just shopping. But I don't want to seem bored on our date... Is this a date? I mean, I dressed up nicely in case he wanted to think of the reward as special.

Was it wrong to have expectations for something that the other person didn't want? He accepted and even took a few days to prepare. Was it so terrible that she looked forwards to going out with a stranger?

Jocelyn attempted to distract herself from her worries by focusing on how lovely she looked. Despite the fact that she was simply making herself feel egotistical, she attempted to be positive about her image. Dick had assisted her in selecting her attire, which consisted of a black knee-length flowing skirt, wedge sandals, and a blue collared shirt. He'd rummaged through the clothes they'd taken out of storage and argued with her for hours over shoes.

She didn't want to seem desperate, but she did want to impress Bruce. Rich, handsome, and secretly a soft dad? Just her type... if she had a type.

"Are you feeling okay?" Beside her, Bruce inquired. They were both seated in the rear of the automobile, with Alfred alone in the front as the driver. Bruce was dressed more casually, yet he appeared to be prepared for a meeting. Slacks and a dark blue button-up that accentuated his gloomy eyes.

They inadvertently dressed in the same colors.

She replied gently that she was OK, offering him a nice reassuring grin. Bruce looked at her hands, the delicate fingers clenching around each other, before studying her countenance.

Do I make her uncomfortable?  He wondered with a frown

He offered a good expression of patience and returned his attention to his watch. Looking to see how much time they had together. Jocelyn looked at the beautiful clockwork, appreciating the small points ticking away the seconds and minutes. Bruce noticed her gaze and unintentionally angled his watch in her way, displaying the glitzy gold.

He explained, "It was a fathers day gift." She cupped his wrist and twisted it from side to side, glancing over the heavy gold chain and mentally calculating the whole cost of the item.