CHAPTER 25: Here Comes The Storm

MERRICK

After a few hours of going towards the place my father wanted to take me to, while pulling up, I was surprised to see it was an abandoned cabin deep on the woods.

Once we got out of the car though and looked at it he started explaining why he brought me here.

"Believe it or not, this place has been in the family for many centuries. It's where your great great great grandparents had first settled on this land." My father states. "They were poor, but made due."

"Why are we here?" I asked.

"Because son, there are things you need to know." He tells me as I begin to follow behind him inside.

I have to admit that despite the much needed work to repair this neglected place, it had a weird charm to it. Maybe it was because it's part of the family that I find it charming.

While looking around, I noticed my father had gone off towards a bedroom it looked like before coming out with an old book or journal of some kind.

"What's that?" I asked.

He stood there looking down at it as though he was questioning whether or not he wanted to show it to me.

"This book....this book is filled with many things and information that could ruin a lot of reputations in the council and change things forever. The Elders, including the Head Elder, have been searching a very long time to try and find it." He finishes before handing it to me.

The book had an ancient design in gold pieces and have the only way to open it up was to press down a button on the side that unlocked it.

The pages were thick and aged. They each were filled however with many drawings and sketches of creatures and then there was a lot of writing.

I sat down at the small rounded wooden table and began reading some of them. It took me a while to get through most of it but what I read were disturbing things and the one that hit me the most though was the writing I had read on one of the pages about my father. On a few pages it described an incident that happened at the beginning of my father's term in the council, mainly issues that happened between him and the Head Elder, Roman. He had set him up when sending my father to do an errand for Roman but in the end, nearly got not just killed but almost had my father take the blame for it.

After reading what I considered to be enough, I closed the journal shut and felt a bit disgusted as well as pissed the fuck off.

"Why didn't you ever tell me about any of this?" I asked him.

"Because I wasn't sure if it was the right thing to do or not. I had been threatened at the time that Roman would make sure you never got a chance or any of my family, would ever get a chance to become part of the council. Then after I saw how great you have become throughout the years I just started to rethink my decisions and try to even deter you away from wanting my position. But son, you've become a better man, Alpha and overall, a better person than me. You could change everything for the better." He finishes explaining.

"So....what you're saying is that you were trying to protect me? I mean, when I was thrown into confinement for so fucking long, neither you or mom ever made it known to me that you ever would care enough to do something like that." I tell him.

"I know. I'm sorry you thought that we didn't care enough. The truth is I tried easing to everyone in the council, INCLUDING Roman, to drop the charges and that there was no way you could have done what you claimed to do. And your mother and I never were told the truth of what happened and how you took the blame for your brother's mistake." He tears up a bit.

I can tell he is really torn up about what he's talking about.

"I fucked up son and have been trying to make things right for years. I also found out something the other day that your mother doesn't know about and I don't want her to neither." He began again.

"What's that?" I asked him.

"Jericho has been working with Mara's father and has apparently made a deal with him and Roman to destroy our family and reputation." He explains.

That got me heated a bit more. However, before another word could be said between either one of us, we both were mindlinked by my distraught mother who was telling us to rush home quick because something had happened to Mara.

Immediately we hurried to get in the car and drove nearly as fast as we could.

Next chapter will be posted soon! :)