CHAPTER 13: The Agreement

MARA

The trip itself was an adventure and I for one couldn't stop thinking how lucky I was right now and how I can already cross some things off my bucket list. I have flown in First Class and have been on a train as well and am going to England to meet the Elders.

When we arrived and all of us got off the train, we saw Colbert waiting while waving us down. We began heading out front of the station while he asked us about our trip and got into a car before he drove us to the place.

Along the ride, I looked out the window and was fascinated at how beautiful the scenery was. It was just as I imagined and just as you would see in a movie or in photos.

The countryside of England was beautiful with a calming and yet simplicity look to it. There were many houses that looked to be held up throughout the centuries from when they originated. Surrounding them were bright green meadows, a deep green forest, rolling hills that stretched on and on forever. We seemed to have also come at a good time, seeing as to how the sky was a beautiful blue without a cloud in sight.

Moments later we pulled up along a dirt road to a cottage that seemed like it was built straight from a fairytale made out of stone and wood for the roof.

Once we got out of the car and began to walk towards the cottage, the door had opened up and there standing in the doorway was an older gentleman who looked to be in his mid to late forties.

"Glad you all could make it. Please, come in." He greeted us with a smile and had us walk past him while he held the door opened for us.

We put our bags down and as soon as we looked towards the kitchen, we saw a few gentlemen sitting there looking at us. The one at the end of the table stood up and gestured for us all to take a seat.

"Please, sit down." He said.

One by one, they introduced themselves. The one at the head of the table was the head Elder, Roman, the man to his right, Gerald, who looked to be in his late seventies but I know has to be at least 200 years old and then there was one more gentleman to his left, Felix, who looked to be the same age. Anyone in that high position as an Elder, has to be at least 100 years old. It's very rare that a young person can become an Elder.

After we took a seat, they got right into talking.

"There is not much time before we have to return back to the Council, so I will get right to the point. There have been suspicious discretions over the past several years. We need to find more evidence of it before we make a final decision." Roman states.

"Like what? And how can I be of any help?" Merrick asked.

The gentlemen all looked at each other before he replied.

"Your father has been causing disruption in this council for many years. Your brother has been helping for the last few. There have been certain treaties we had made with some that were difficult I'm earning their trust. Now we are close to losing that and having a war erupt." He says.

Oh my god. From everything Merrick told me about his father, I thought of him as an asshole before but now....it's just outrageous.

"I see now. You want me to try and get more information from my father. And in return, you look more into my case from years ago to try and prove my innocence?!" Merrick states.

"Actually, as of two days ago, we received a key eye witness who saw that it was your brother and not you who killed that wolf." Felix smiles a little.

Merrick looks at me along with Jakob look at each other and then we look back at the men. Before Merrick was able to say anything, he slid over an envelope towards Merrick.

After opening it, I saw him smile bigger than I thought he could ever smile. It was the statement for the proof of his innocence and  that he was wrongfully accused and will be reimbursed for the lost years, along with an apology signed by all the councilmen.

It looked as though Merrick wanted to cry and as he turned to look at me, I too wanted to feeling overjoyed.

"I can't believe this." He tells me.

"I know. But now the truth is out." I smiled back at him in reassurance.

"Thank you. This means more than you know." Merrick explains.

"We understand and we hope you can eventually forgive us." Roman stated.

Merrick took a moment and eventually nodded in agreement.

"So about my father. Where is he now?" Merrick asked.

"He's due to return back from Greece the day after tomorrow. I know this will be difficult, considering your relationship with each other but, this proof will change everything. And both your father and brother will be punished to the extent for what they have done." He promises.

"And what about his brother? He must know by now that we left. Not to mention that if he comes here, it's possible he could try and warn his father."  I pointed out.

"We are keeping a close on him. Hence is why we are asking for you to try and do this as quick as possible." Felix mentions.

"Before I can agree entirely to this, I ask for one last favor." Merrick states.

"Anything." Roman says.

"I ask that you approve and allow my brother and I to have a rematch for the Alpha games." Merrick suggests.

The Elders look at one another then back at us with concern and some confusion.

"I'm sorry but there is no possibility we can have that happen. Besides, you have nothing to prove to anyone and would like to offer you the position that your father is in. You've more than earned that title." He states.

"I don't want it out of pity. And we all know that that position is not handed, the title is EARNED and I want to show you and everybody else that I have earned it and wasn't handed it out of pity." Merrick protests.

I love this man. I swear, we are going to make a great team.

Next chapter will be posted soon! :)