Chapter 4.2

I had spent the day with Rafe on the mainland. We had walked around downtown, popping in and out of shops. Rafe had tried to let him buy me something but I refused. I hadn't told him about where I came from. As a Pogue I hated when people would try to by me things because it made me feel as if I couldn't provide for myself.

"Mila, come on. It's just a pair of shoes." Rafe shrugs at me.

"I don't need them, it's okay."

"They're not even that expensive."

"Rafe, stop."

"I don't get it. What's the big deal?" He asks. His brows cinch together as he looks at me in confusion.

"I don't want them, okay?" I snap.

"Uh... okay, sorry." He shakes his head, evidently caught off guard.

"No, it's okay." I tell him, changing my tone. "I appreciate the offer, I do. But I really don't need them. It's better if someone who needs them buys them."

"Alright, if you say so. It's getting late, we should head back so we can eat before your curfew."

I sigh, nodding at the boy. We walk in silence as we head back to the Ferry boat. I follow the boy into the boat and take a seat next to him on a bench, facing the water.

I watch as the water spins and bubbles as the boat cruises through the water. The sun shines bright, shining off the water in reflection. I can feel eyes on me once again.

A smile forms on my lips as I look at the boy. "What?"

"Did you know your eyes light up when we ride this boat?" He questions curiously.

"What? No they don't." I shake my head, slightly embarrassed. I could feel my cheeks flush, a light pink creeping onto the apples.

"It's true. Your eyes wander everywhere, like you're looking at every last detail, trying to soak it all in. You don't ride the ferry often, do you?"

"No, I don't."

"How come?"

"I don't ever find myself needing to. Everyone and everything I need is on the island."

"What about shopping? There's not much on the island."

"That's what online shopping is for, isn't it?" I joke.

A smile pulls at his lips. "I guess there is that, yes."

"You were staring again." I point out.

"I stand by my original statement."

"Beautiful things deserve to be looked at." I say at the same time as him, teasing the boy.

"Very funny." He states unamused.

"You know what, I think I am extremely funny."

"Yeah no kidding. No one I've ever met laughs at their own jokes like you do." Rafe announces.

"Ouch." I say with a laugh.

We continue to banter back and forth until we arrive back at the island. I follow Rafe to his car and climb into the passenger seat.

"My house for dinner?" Rafe asks looking at me.

"Sure."

When we get to the Cameron residence we walk in to find Sarah sitting at the bar counter. She sits looking down at her phone.

"Hey, Sarah." I say, letting her know we were there,

"Hey!" She says spinning around on the stool. I could tell she was putting on a mask, hiding frustration I could see burning in her eyes.

"I'm gonna go to the bathroom, I'll be back." Rafe announces. I watch as he disappears upstairs before turning to Sarah.

"Okay, I wanna hear it."

"What do you mean?"

"Girl to girl, I can tell something is bothering you." I inform her.

"It's nothing." Her phone vibrates. She looks at the screen before rolling her eyes.

"Topper?"

"Ugh, yes! He's being a raging asshole! He wants to go to a party tomorrow but I really don't want to. I get ditched every time so he can hangout with Kelce and Rafe."

"What if I go?" I question.

"You'd do that?"

"I don't mind. I'm down to hangout with you." I shrug.

"The Pogue's won't mind?"

"Nobody said they had to know. Also about that... Rafe doesn't know."

"That you're a Pogue?" She questions in awe. I nod at her. "How the hell did you keep that from him?"

"It never came up, I guess."

"I won't tell if you don't tell him I'm having issues with Topper." Sarah states.

"Deal." I confirm.