Chapter 28

In the morning I head back to the Cameron's house. As I drive down the long street to their house I notice I was driving behind Ward Cameron's convertible. I pull into their large driveway behind the car.

I climb out of the car, closing my car doorway. When I look up I notice John B climbing out of the passenger seat. He looks over to me, giving me an awkward wave.

"Hello, Mila." Ward greets.

"Hi." I say back. My voice goes high in confusion.

"We'll let you speak to John B once he's settled in. I'm assuming you're here for my Son."

"Yeah, uh, I'll head upstairs then."

I walk past the two guys and head into the house. I head straight to Rafe's room. I wanted to make sure he was okay after everything that happened last night.

I open the door and step inside. I release a shaky breath as I do so. I was honestly pretty nervous after last night.

Ever since he told me not to fall in love with him I felt on edge. I had fallen in love with him so long ago and now it felt like the feeling may not be mutual.

Rafe was still passed out on his bed. He lay on his side, facing away from the door. His chest slowly rose and fell in even breaths. He looked so peaceful as he slept.

I pull off my shoes I was wearing and climb into the bed next to him. He rolls over, facing me. In his sleep, he reaches out to me, pulling me toward him. I rest my head on his shoulder, placing a hand on his chest. He drapes a loose arm over my body.

I notice his eyes fluttering as he wakes up. "Hey, Mi." He whispers sweetly, pressing a kiss to the top of my head.

"Good morning, sunshine." I look up at him.

"I'm assuming you're here to talk about last night."

"Well, I was actually here to help with your injuries, but yes, that is something we will also be talking about." I say.

"Look, Mi, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have called you." He apologizes.

"No, no. Rafe, I'm glad you called. You needed someone there for you. You made the right choice. And it makes me happy to know that you trust me enough to call me." I place a hand on his cheek.

"I trust you more than anything." Rafe says honestly. "And I meant everything I said, I'm gonna get better. I called outpatient last night. I have counceling next week and a meeting."

"Good, I'm glad."

"Thank you for being there to me."

"Of course." I respond. "Okay, let's check you out." I climb out of his bed.

Rafe follows me over to the bathroom. He sits on the toilet like he had last night. I peel off the gauze I had put on his stomach previously. Rafe winces as the tape pulls his skin.

"Ow!" He yells.

"Don't be a baby, Cameron."

"That shit hurt."

I grab some hydrogen peroxide and put it on a cotton swab. I pat it down his cut, cleaning any bacteria out of it. Once I've done that I put Neosporin down it and put gauze back onto the wound.

"Thank you." Rafe says, reaching up to cup my cheek. He presses a kiss soft kiss to my lips. I hum against his lips before pulling away.

"I'm gonna go talk to John B. I'll be back in a couple minutes."

Rafe nods before I head downstairs. I find John B settling into his room.

"Hey." I say catching his attention.

"Oh, hey. What's up?" He asks casually.

"What are you doing here?" I ask him.

"When I went to the hospital yesterday, DCS came. Ward talked to them and got them to leave and now he's my legal guardian."

"What? You're gonna live with Ward Cameron?" I ask incredulously.

"Mila, I don't really have a choice. If I didn't go with Ward I'd be on my way to the Mainland to foster care."

"Fine. But you better be careful. As much as I've been here I know he's not a good person. He's really sus."

"I know, Mila. Okay?"

"Okay."

~~~

I step outside of the Cameron's house when I hear a dirt bike engine roaring outside. I was in the kitchen when I heard the bike pull up near the house. I see Barry climb off the bike, making his way over to Rafe who had been working on his own bike.

"You gonna give me a bump, big boy?" Barry calls out.

Rafe whips around looking at the other boy. He looks over at me on the porch, he shakes his head discreetly, telling me to stay there.

"Man, check this place out though, huh?" Barry continues. "

"Hey, Barry. Barry. Hey, man." Rafe stutters nervously.

"It's fancy! It's a nice place to live!"

I lose track of the conversation as they start to walk quietly between them. I watch from afar as they continue to talk.

"How come you got all this nice shit, though?" I hear Barry ask loudly. "Can you tell me that? You ain't got my money, but you got all this nice shit." Barry smacks Rafe's bike.

I could tell the man was high. He was fairly disoriented and incredibly sweaty.

I watch Barry swing at Rafe. I flinch and let out a gasp. I clamp my hand over my mouth, trying to stay quiet.

"Hey, chill! Chill! All right- Hey!" Rafe says stepping away. Barry grabs the collar of Rafe's polo, pulling him forward. "Hey! Get off! What're you doing? Hey!"

Barry pulls Rafe toward his dirt bike. Rafe flinches in pain. I look away, unable to watch.

"That's it you little bitch!" Barry yells.

"Okay, stop, stop! Okay, chill, man."

I look up just as Rafe collapses to the ground. I feel hot tears burning in my eyes. I wanted to go help him but I knew it wouldn't help anything.

"How's that feel, baby boy?" Barry shouts. "That's just the coming attractions, big boy. Consider this shit right here your down payment. You got three days. Watch yourself man, or your little bitch will get it."

Barry takes the helmet off the handle of Rafe's dirt bike and puts it on. He climbs onto the bike and pulls down the street, away from the house.

I run over to Rafe as fast as I can. I drop down next to him, placing a hand on his chest. He grunts in pain, rolling around in the dust.

"Cameron! Are you okay?" I ask frantically.

Rafe drops his head into the ground. "Fuck."