Chapter 39

I had the hardest time sleeping. Images of Peterkin getting shot flashed through my mind every time I closed my eyes. Fear courses through my body every time I thought about it. Most of the night I lay awake, trying to think of anything else.

It didn't help that I had no idea where Rafe was. He was my safe place. The only reason I had been sleeping through the night the last few nights was because he was by my side. Every time I'd wake up, terrified, he was right there to wrap an arm around me and tell me I was okay.

I had finally fallen asleep when Pope had come to sit with me. He lay across the booth opposite mine and held my hand until I fell asleep.

I woke up the next morning with a crazy back ache. Sleeping on a tiny bench that was too small and uncomfortable was not the best plan.

I sit up with a groan, stretching out my sore muscles. I rub at my back, trying to massage out the knots.

I walk over to where Pope and JJ were talking in the doorway.

"No, they wouldn't still be patrolling if they caught him." I hear Pope say.

"We hope." I speak up.

"You know, we were in that car. They're probably looking for us, too."

"Except Mila." JJ points out.

"Well if we're gonna be outlaws, we might as well help John B.

"So find him before they do?" JJ questions as my brother begins to walk away. He heads toward the front door of the Wreck.

"Pope?" I turn to look at him over my shoulder.

"I'm gonna get gas for the boat."

"Hey, you be careful." Kie tells him. "Okay?"

Pope stares at her a moment before turning back to where JJ and I stood. "Meet me at the dock at three. Don't be late."

"Woah, who pissed in his cereal?"

"Something happened between us." Kie answers my question before heading after him.

JJ and I follow, watching the commotion between the two. I lean up on the railing of the stairs, listening to their conversation.

"Okay, what is your problem?" Kiara runs down the stairs, trying to catch up with the boy.

"No problem, officer. I'm just doing my job." Pope retorts, climbing onto a dirt bike.

"Look, I'm sorry I hurt your feelings!" Kie approaches my brother. Pope revs the engine of the bike, drowning out Kiara's words.

"What was that?"

"Look, I didn't mean to." The engine revs again.

"Pope, stop being an ass!" I call out. He ignores me, continuing to rev the engine while Kie speaks. Eventually he takes off, leaving Kie in a cloud of dust.

Kiara turns back to us, a defeated look on her face. She freezes when a loud helicopter flies over our heads. I look up at it, squinting from the bright sun.

"Who the hell is that?" JJ questions.

"SBI." I respond, spotting the logo on the side of the helicopter.

"That can't be good." JJ says.

"Look, we should focus on helping John B." I say, changing the subject. "He needs our help and we can't just sit around dealing with Pope and Kie's drama."

"She's got a point." JJ adds.

"Fine, let's just get this good together then." Kie says walking past us. JJ and I follow her into the kitchen. "So, how have you and Rafe been since the whole runway incident? John B told us everything." Kie asks.

"Fine. He just deals with mental health issues because his dad is a fucking nut job." I respond.

"I- sorry, I shouldn't have said anything."

"You're right, you shouldn't have. My relationship is none of your business, Kie. Please just deal with your own drama."

"I don't have any. Pope is just grumpy."

I let out a laugh. "Yeah, I'm not gonna fall for that. What's going on with you and Pope?"

"He confessed his love for Kie when he was high and she rejected him. You sure he wasn't just being weird Pope?" JJ asks.

"Woah, woah, woah. What?" I ask in disbelief.

"It wasn't really the kind of thing that needed interpretation." Kie says. She glances at the food we had piles on to the counter. "Is that gonna be enough food for them?"

"I mean for a couple of weeks, and that's all they need, so..." JJ's voice trails off.

"Look, I think I actually hurt his feelings." Kie changes the subject back to my brother.

"He'll be fine." I speak up. "Pope isn't some girl obsessed little boy. He has goals and ambitions and you're not all of them."