Chapter 22

I walk with Kie to the big open field, hosting the movie

I walk with Kie to the big open field, hosting the movie. JJ and Pope follow right behind.

"I'm so glad they're still doing this." Kie speaks up. "Keep calm, carry on. Back to OBX life. Aren't you glad I made you come?"

"Ecstatic ." Pope responds unenthusiastically.

"My couch was pretty comfy, I'll be honest." JJ agrees.

"What about you, Mi?"

"We're gonna run into Rafe." I state.

"Oh, right. I didn't even think about that."

I follow Kie over to a table that was selling snacks and drinks. Kie pulls out her wallet, ordering drinks. I stand next to her, waiting for drinks with her.

"Hey, Kie." A voice calls out. The sound of the person's voice sent chills down my spine. I duck behind Kie, trying to stay out of their line of sight. "Hey, what's up?" Rafe asks her. "How are you?"

"I'm fine." Kie says shortly.

"Good, good. Um... Tell your boy that we know what he did."

"Sorry, what boy are you talking about?"

"He'll know."

I step out from the group of people, revealing myself to the boy. I look up at him, finally seeing the boy since we had broken up. He had deep, dark bags underneath both of his eyes. The blue in his eyes seemed dimmer than usual, the sparkle completely gone.

"Stop fucking threatening my brother." I demand. My voice comes out low and angry.

"Mila-"

"No, I'm dead serious. Stop."

"Look, can we just talk over there?" He points to an area that had less people around.

"No, Rafe." I say sadly. I turn and walk away from him, following after Kie who had already walked away. I jog to catch up to her.

She hands the drinks down to the boys that had already chosen a spot. I sit down and stare out at the blank screen, tuning out there conversation. My heart broke at the sight of Rafe. Seeing how broken he was since our break up.

When the movie starts I zone out on the screen, focusing on the old movie. I could hear the other Pogues still arguing quietly. I notice Pope and JJ leave at some point during the movie. Kie scoots over, sitting closer to me.

"Are you okay?" She asks quietly.

"Not really."

"Talk to me." She grabs my hand, squeezing it gently.

"I hated seeing him."

"Because?"

"He's a terrible person but I know all the good parts of him, so I still love him when I should hate him."