Chapter 35

John B pulls the old van next to the airstrip. He parks behind a chain link fence to the side of the strip to keep us out of the Cameron's sight. He puts the car in park before we all climb out quickly. We run up to the fence, trying to get a look at the situation.

"What's the plan? Broad strokes." Kie asks.

"I don't think we got that far." John B states.

Pope takes out binoculars, looking toward the airstrip. "They're loading up the gold."

John B takes the binoculars, taking a turn in watching the plane. A car pulls up next to the plane. I recognize it as Ward's SUV.

"There's Ward." I point out.

John B slowly drops down the binoculars. A worried look crosses his face as he continues to stare out at the commotion.

"What?" Kie asks eyeing him. "What!"

"It's Sarah." John B whispers. "She's with him? Wait, he's hurting her."

"What?" I ask looking up at the boy.

"They're fighting." John B informs us. "Holy shit." John B backs up away from the fence.

"Hey! What are you doing?" Pope asks.

"John B, where are you going?" Kie questions, walking toward the car.

John B climbs into the van and backs up from the fence. He leaves a good 5 yards between the van and the fence before putting the car in drive and slamming through the fence. The Pogues yell at John B, trying to stop him.

"John B, what the hell?" I yell after him. We all run to the now gaping hole in the fence.

"What are you doing?" JJ yells.

"John B!" Kie shouts.

"Come back!"

John B speeds over to the airplane. He pulls up behind it and speeds up so he can catch up to the plane. He speeds up, pulling in front of the airplane.

I hear sirens coming from down the street, heading in our direction.

"Guys, I can't get arrested." Pope turns to us.

"I'm on probation." JJ points out.

"Look, we're no good if we're all in jail." Kie says.

"Come on." Pope says. I don't move, continuing to stare out at the airstrip. My brother grabs my arm. "Mila?"

"I can't leave. Those are my best friends out there. Sarah's like a sister to me."

"Okay." Pope says, understanding.

The rest of the Pogues take off running down the street. I watch them disappear around the corner before turning back to the scene.

A police car pulls onto the airstrip behind Ward. Anxiety bubbles up in my chest at the thought of the cops taking John B into foster care.

Peterkin climbs out, walking toward Ward. I see Ward turn to John B. Peterkin pulls her gun out of her holster and points it directly at Ward.

"Holy shit." I mumble. I see a familiar face walking onto the runway. I notice a black object in his hand. "Oh, fuck!" I yell.

I'm instantly sprinting toward the boy. My legs burn as I spring onto the concrete. I pump my arms, trying to reach him as quick as possible.

"Cameron!" I yell out. "Rafe Cameron!"

He looks up at me, his eyes widening. He points the gun toward the woman.

I finally reach him. I grab his bicep, trying to get him to focus on me. The airstrip goes silent as everyone watches us.