Chapter 34

I lay on my couch with Rafe. We had just finished a movie and we're now just relaxing. I lie on the couch with my back pressed against the arm. Rafe lay on his stomach with his head resting on my chest. He had his hands underneath me, holding himself against my smaller frame.

"What are you doing today?" Rafe asks looking up at me.

"I'm not sure." I tell him. "I should probably go visit the Pogues."

"Okay."

"Is that okay?" I brush a stray hair out of his face.

A small smile crosses his face. "Of course it is."

Rafe moves off of me, pulling me up with him. He scoops me up, picking me up by my hips. I wrap my legs around his waist and my arms around his neck. He presses a soft kiss to my lips. I hug him tight before dropping my legs from his waist, setting my feet on the floor.

"I'll see you later, Cameron." I press one last kiss to his lips before moving to find my car keys.

I grab my keys off my bedside table and head down to my car. I listen to soft music on the way to the chateau. I nod along to beat as I drive.

When I get to the chateau I find nobody inside. I look around the house, looking for any of the Pogues but nobody was there. I step outside and look down to the dock. I see the Pogues sitting around by the water.

I walk through the yard down to my friends. "Hey, guys." I greet. John B yanks off his cast just as I reach them. "Woah, what are you doing?" I ask.

"It's not like I expected a happy ending or some shit." John B says, ignoring my question. He tosses his cast aside.

"John B." Kie warns.

"Can someone please explain what's happening?" I ask.

"Ward took all the gold." JJ explains, looking over to me. "And hi Mila, I'll be the one to greet you."

"Your arm's gonna be messed up for life." Kie tells John B.

"It's fine," the boy holds his hand in the air. "See." He wiggles his fingers.

"Guys!" I turn around to see my brother sprinting down the dock. "Guys! Oh! I ran all the way here." He hunches over breathing heavy, hands on his knees.

"You alright?" John B asks.

"How'd the interview go?" JJ asks after.

"Don't ask." Pope grunts. "JB. Look, I'm sorry, dude. About everything."

"It's fine." John B grumbles.

"But- but I don't have a lot of time," Pope continues. "And I have information that is tactically relevant. So, before I had my interview, my dad said he was going down to the private airstrip to cut palms for Cameron's big plane. Because it was too heavy, it needed a longer landing strip to take off. So, I'm there in my interview, thinking to myself, 'Hm, why would Cameron need a longer airstrip to take off? What could be so heavy to weigh it down?"

"Gold." JJ realizes.

"Exactly." Pope points directly at the blonde.

"Guys, this is our chance, but it leaves tonight, and we have to go."

"Guys, this is our chance." Kie agrees.

"What's the plan, big man?" JJ asks.

"We're gonna steal that shit back." John B says.

A smile spreads across everyone's face.

"Do you guys want me there?" I ask. "I haven't been involved in much else."

"Of course, Mi. Never leave a Pogue behind." John B says.

"Let's do this!" JJ yells as we all run down the dock to John B's van.

"Let's go, boys!" Kie yells out.

I notice John B hesitating to move forward.

"Hey," I say catching his attention. "All good?"

"Yeah, yeah. It just doesn't feel real."

"Well, it is, JB. We're so close. You're so close." He nods along as I speak. "You're dad would be so proud of you."

"Thank you, Mi. It means a lot."

"Let's go get that gold, yeah?" I grab his hand and we run down to the van. I climb in the back as he climbs into the front. John B drives down to the airstrip to get the gold back.