New Years

The month has passed.

Then a another.

And another.

It's been three months since the end of you and Connie. It's now New Years Eve and you're at Sasha's for a party. With Colt.

You two have decided to date. It happened slowly, but after a month, Connie and you were just a distant memory. Colt and you had been hanging out ever since the party and it just seemed right.

He doesn't make you question anything. You know what his intentions are and you know his feelings. Not to say you didn't with Connie, but with Colt there were no expectations. You didn't need to feel like the punchline to a joke or worry if it's real or not.

Yet again, that's not Connie's fault per say. It's just where you stand as people and the reputation you're supposed to uphold. It never would've worked between the two of you.

Colt doesn't care about your status at school and you don't worry about his. You two meet up after school most days and hang out in your room, listening to new bands and talking about life. You're able to go out on dates and do fun things as well. It's refreshing.

You still see Connie around and have occasionally hung out with him when you're with Sasha. It's weird, but it's not unbearable.

While you have seen one another, you haven't actually said anything. You think he's dating one of the soccer girls now, but you aren't sure. They went to the winter formal together and that's all you know. There were pictures posted everywhere, you didn't actually go.

"I like that," Colt points at the cover of your book.

You smile. "Have you finished the book I gave you a couple weeks ago?"

"By finish the book... do you mean one chapter?" He gives you a guilty smile and scratches his temple.

You roll your eyes lightheartedly and set the book down beside you on the couch in the basement of Sasha's house. Most of the party is up on the main level, but you and Colt weren't feeling the crowd, so you moved down to the basement where only a few groups are hanging out.

"So," Colt pulls you down so your head is resting on his lap and you're looking up at him. "Are you excited for your new classes?"

You nod silently because your mind is recycling memories of Connie and you in PE. What started as a secret meeting in the under-stage storage room is now just you and Connie doing your best to avoid one another. Now you don't have to be in the same class with him.

"What are you looking forward to most?" He fixes your hair, moving it from your eyes.

"Hmm," you look to the side and purse your lips. "I think my art class."

Colt nods. "That's a beginners class, right?"

"Yeah, I ran out of classes to take since I have all my credits, but there's a bunch of electives available for me. So I chose real-life drawing," you smile. "What about you?"

Colt shrugs. "I need another science credit and English. But the rest are easy classes. I even have a free period."

You shut your eyes as he plays with your hair and you listen to the music flow down to the basement as the door opens. There's a few sets of feet stomping down the stairs, maybe three.

"Oh look who it is," you hear Reiner laugh. "Not fitting in up at the party so you're hiding down here?"

"And what exactly are you doing down here then?" Colt directs his attention to Reiner.