Spring Fling and College Dreams

Spring. Such a beautiful time of year.

Well, it was. It was quite beautiful.

But that flew out the window with one letter.

"What do you mean you've been holding onto this for over a week," you gape at your mom who's finally home from work after what has felt like forever.

She yawns. "I just had it at the hospital and forgotten about it. It's from that college you liked so much, right? You applied in summer?"

The letter shakes in your hand. "Yeah..." Why would they be sending a letter now? If they had considered you for early admissions, they would've sent a letter out way sooner. You figured they declined your application because you had little to no extracurricular activities to show. Only your outstanding grades and test scores.

"Well, what does it say?" She peaks over your shoulder.

You tear open the letter and pull out the single sheet of paper folded in to three's. You're sacred to read the letters printed on it, but you need too.

It is our pleasure to invite you to early admission for spring term, y/n l/n.

The paper drops onto the table and a shocked smile makes its way onto your lips.

No way.

Your mom takes the letter and reads through it, a tired, but happy look on her face."

"Full ride!?" She gasps. "Oh my god sweetie!"

It's still processing in your mind.

"It says you can go there in two weeks. They want you there...in two weeks! That's no time at all!" She frowns. "What are you going to do?"

You swallow the lump in your throat and slide the chair out. "I'm going to go to the baseball game I told my boyfriend I'd go too."

"Boyfriend!?" Her eyes widen. "When? How? Who?!"

You grab you keys off the counter and shrug. "No one."

All you've wanted since officially dating Connie was to tell your mom everything. But she's never been home and now that she is, you've gotten news of this college thing. Who knows if you'll even have a boyfriend at the end of the day.

It's your dream school and they're offering a full ride scholarship if you accept their early admissions invitation. There's no way you can just pass that up. It's a once in a life time opportunity.

Would you really give up your dream for some boy?

Some boy you hadn't even thought about romantically until the beginning of senior year. But have somehow fallen completely in love with in such a short time.

Would you just toss that away? Can you toss him away?

~

You arrive at the game, Sasha saving you seat up front behind the home plate. Connie is up to bat next from what she knows, so you try to plaster a smile on your face even though you're dying inside.

He comes out soon after you sit and looks back at you, his helmet on his head, his smile bright and happy.

He blows you a kiss while swinging his bat, doing practice swings to match the pitchers speed. It hurts. How can you just leave him?

The game continues on and the last inning rolls around after an hour and a half of back and forth. You let out a groan, thankful the game is almost over. But also dreading it because you'll have to talk to him about this letter you've received.