Chapter 17

"You've got to be very careful with your words Jes because it always seems that when you interact with Leigh-Anne that you find some way to upset her." Janice was speaking to Jesy as her daughter sat on her bed with her phone to her face. The room was prepped for the sleepover tonight with Jesy's flat screen very much on display and there were bean bag chairs in front of the TV stand. Next to Jesy's bed was an air mattress big enough for two people. Two of them would sleep on the bed and two would sleep on the mattress. Marcy had called to say that Kyro would be coming to look out for Leigh-Anne since she had been a little shifty this week in terms of her mental health so Leigh would bring his bed with her when she came over.

Jesy felt a bit offended by all of these warnings. Her mom kept saying things like this since Marcy had told her that Jesy had somehow upset Leigh-Anne while over on Monday. It wasn't that big a deal. Why'd she tell her mum? Jesy had confronted Leigh on this and the girl had said that she had not told Marcy anything. Jesy had an idea of what she had said to make Leigh sad but she had still asked the girl to tell her exactly what it was that made her feel so bad that her mother noticed and called Jesy's mother to complain. Leigh-Anne had said that she did not like what Jesy had said about her having the most problems out of everyone she knew but Jesy had not understood. She don't want me to say she's got no problems but she don't want me to say she has 'em either? Jesy had apologized via text and had said that she understood but she really didn't. She was very nervous about this sleepover but was determined to make it work. Despite the fact that she kept offending her, she felt that she and Leigh had a good connection. They could be friends. She was sure.

"I get it mum. And if I somehow mess up even after all your warnings, Jade, Perrie, her dog and her cat will be there to keep me in line," Jesy rolled her eyes.

Janice frowned and folded her arms. "Don't treat this lightly Jessica. Leigh-Anne has special needs that have got to be taken seriously. If you say something too triggering it can cause a lot of problems for her alright? And she's being kind enough to make the effort to be your friend so you'd be able to spend more time with all of your friends together and so you won't feel left out so please appreciate this. All you have to do is be kind. That's all."

Jesy processed her mother's words and realized that she had a point. "Okay Mum you're right. I was just a bit upset 'cause it feels frustrating that I've got to be lectured so much when it comes to her. I'm trying but somehow still messing up and that makes me mad. I'll try to keep myself in check okay? I'm gonna do my best to let her have a good time."

Janice inhaled deeply. "Okay. I like the sound of that." She tapped the door with her fingers before looking over her shoulder. "I'll be checking in frequently okay?"

Jesy understood why she felt the need to do that but the vibes were already not looking good based on that information. "Mum do you have to? We're all big girls."

"Just to ensure that you don't do anything too upsetting when it comes to Leigh okay? This is serious Jes. You know the extent of her mental illness." Janice said slowly.

Jesy rubbed her forehead. What was the last sleepover she had been to like? It's been a hot minute. It was probably something that Liza had put together where they had gotten drunk and gossiped all night. But because of Leigh Liza's not in the picture so that won't happen again. Where were the other rejects who used to parade around with that idiot? They've been quiet and drama's been basically dead at our school and it's all low-key 'cause of Leigh so . . . But those things were bad so Jesy should be happy. Right. But it was normal for girls to at least talk about the latest beef at sleepovers. It was. But there is no beef. How did Leigh live her life? She just keeps up with her book fandom and plays with her dog. She wondered if Leigh-Anne knew how much of a loser she would be considered if she wasn't that hot. I can't say that though. She didn't want to trigger the girl. I wanna be her friend so bad but . . . I dunno. What did her beefy friends see in Leigh-Anne? Her face I guess. She rubbed her chin.