Chapter 41

Jesy angrily finished tying her laces that evening.

"Everyone looks ready for the next race so we should start right? The bleachers are filled with excited fans who are just dying to see our town dominate the visitors . . ." the commentator said from his booth.

"You gotta stop with the biased commentary there Jim. Ya gotta stop. Ha ha ha." His partner spoke.

"Alright girls, we've been working hard for this." Jesy's coach was speaking to the track team in front of their timeout bench.

"Look at them. They think they have an edge when they don't. Pitiful." One of the senior members spat on the ground after expressing her disgust towards their opponents. Today's race would be a relay race. Track teams from neighbouring towns in the area would compete this evening to see who would get to travel to Manchester for a bigger race.

"They look pretty normal to me though." One of the girls who joined with Jesy said. Her name was Isabel and she had brown hair.

"Yeah they're just warming up like we are." The other girl who joined with Jesy spoke. She was called Grace.

Coach Sally groaned then broke her clipboard on her knee. "Don't let them make you think that they're tame and relaxed. We can't let our guard down for one second. You've been training for this exact moment for months now. And what do I always say? When you get on that field, just run. Run and be sure that when you run you're in pain because if your muscles aren't screaming for air it means you're not pushing hard enough. Gah!"

Jesy rolled her eyes as she stood. Doing so made all eyes fall on her.

"The MVP." Grace nudged Jesy.

Jesy had been mad thinking about everything that happened last month and was still happening now but seeing everyone glad to see her made her head swell. "My sprinting abilities are unparalleled."

"Definitely. That's why you're gonna be on the last lap." Coach Sally looked out at the field. "Hope you're not nervous Nelson." She was looking at a particular team that seemed menacing.

Jesy looked out at the bleachers of enthusiastic track fans. Her family was there and so were her 'friends'. New girl left them high and dry. Ray Ray, Princeton and Jungkook were there, cheering happily for her. Right now Ms. Perrie's in Los Angeles with her girlfriend. Just a few days after Perrie had attempted suicide, they had all seen pap pictures circulating of Perrie skipping around town with Leigh-Anne and a puppy. Of course, that had confused everyone in the group and they had quickly started sending Perrie messages, asking her what that was about and the blonde had said that Leigh-Anne came to her to try to help her with her recovery and that they were close again 'sorry'.

And what a slap in the face that felt like. Jesy had seen countless pictures of those two and several articles were written. Why did they seem to be becoming more famous? Drama. People had been speculating about whether Leigh had some fallout with her sister which seemed to be resolved now and whether Leigh and Perrie had stopped being friends since they had not been seen together in a while and instead had been caught at different events separately. Those two were always together so that really confused people but then out of nowhere they started skipping around town in matching T-shirts so . . .

The Perrie Revival Project. That was what had been on the T-shirts. So Leigh-Anne felt bad and that's why she took that one back? She rolled her tongue around her mouth. Here she thought that everyone was on the same page again and that things would more or less go back to normal like they had been before Leigh appeared but now Perrie was pulled back in with the new girl. I'm out here talking in my head like I hate Leigh-Anne when I don't. She guessed she was just hurt that after they spent so much time together that Leigh-Anne just went back with Perrie even though Perrie had screwed up. Jesy screwed up too a lot of the time but Leigh didn't want her. I guess Perrie's who she truly loves?