Chapter 52

"You listened to the demo right?" Calum was opening a tab on a laptop the next day with his bass guitar hanging on his body. He was standing and adjusting things on the device before they started.

Perrie was looking closely at what he was doing. "Yous produce your own stuff?"

"Nah we got a guy for that." Michael was standing to the side, practicing his fingering on his guitar. "Production takes too much time you know?"

Luke was texting someone on the couch and Ashton sat next to him, hitting his drum sticks to make a beat.

Leigh-Anne was here as well. She sat in a single seat to the side. This was all very fascinating to her. "Perrie are you nervous?" She whispered loudly.

Perrie turned to look at her. "What? No." She laughed. "This is just a thing."

"That's the spirit." Michael removed his guitar and set it on his rack. "Just relax and let the sound flow out of those chords."

"Did you warm up your voice?" Luke looked up from his phone to ask.

"Pshhh. Course I did." Perrie assured them. "I was singing all morning and even the night before so I think the pipes are ready."

"Nice." They all said.

Leigh-Anne had heard Perrie warming up in the shower and she thought she had sounded really good. I don't think she realizes how much of a good singer she is. Perrie took this all so lightly it was insane.

Someone else entered the studio then. "Alright, we ready to rock?" He walked up to the panel of buttons and controls and took a seat. "Who's singing? Her? Luke is that your twin?"

The guys laughed but Perrie rolled her eyes. "Not all people with blonde hair and blue eyes are related." She told the sound engineer. Didn't see him when I came in. Wonder where he was hiding.

"Perrie will be singing on the second verse and the bridge. Oh and she'll do a bit of ad libbing and harmonizing too if that's alright," Michael rested a hand on Perrie's shoulder.

The sound engineer's headphones were in. "Alright sounds good." He looked around and spotted another girl in the room. "You on this record too sweetie?"

Leigh shook her head quickly. "I'm just here for moral support." She held a thumb up and smiled nervously.

The guy tilted his head then turned to the blonde girl. "She your bestie or something?"

Perrie laughed. "You could say that. I think she would've done well on this song too but she's shy. She can sing though. Started taking lessons a few months ago right Leigh?"

Leigh saw everyone smile at her. "I . . . yeah I've been taking lessons and playing piano." She looked away.

The sound engineer seemed impressed. His name was Dave. "Maybe after your friend sings on this smash record for this album that's definitely gonna be a hit-"

"Oh stop it you," Michael waved him off and the other guys laughed.

Dave laughed too. "You could sing a little something for me? I'm working on a demo for someone. I could teach you the song and you could sing it."

Leigh's eyes widened. "Uhhhh-"

"She'll do it." Perrie walked confidently into the booth and put on the available headphones. "Ooo." She spoke into the mic. "Hello." She heard herself clearly through the phones.

"Looking good Perrie. Look-ing-gooood." Ashton was standing and jutting his thumbs-up at her.

Calum smiled and waved. "Our founder's going to be on our song. This is so exciting."