Chapter 3

Raavi was humming and cleaning up Shiva's room, and despite his numerous attempts to keep her from coming to his room, she did anyway, and he gave up at this point.

Jo karna hai, karke jaa. He had said. So she did exactly that.

Her phone rang, and the screen flashed Maasi calling, and Raavi excitedly picked up the video call.

"Hi Maasi! Kaise ho?"

"Mai theek hu. Tu bata, tu kaisi hai, haa? Padhai sab acche se ho raha hai?"

"Ekdum. Ab toh agle hafte se mere exams hai, bas ussi ke liye padhne jaaungi ab-"

"Ae Raavi, ye tere chehre ko kya hua hai?"

Raavi's hand flew to her cheek, her eyes widening in surprise. Shit.

"Kuch nahi maasi, woh bas mai gir gayi college mein-"

"AE CHIPKALI! MERE KAPDE KAHA RAKHE?! Maine kaha tha na mera samaan mat haath lagana tu-" Shiva stormed in, and seeing her panic-stricken face, he stopped.

"Ae, ye junglee kaha se aaya tere dost ke ghar pe? YE JUNGLEE KYA KAR RAHA HAI TERE PAAS, HAA?!"

"Maasi, meri baat suno, mujhe aapse kuch baat karni hai-" Raavi said

"Isne tujhe kuch kiya kya? Bol, ye jo tera chehra aise neela pada hai, iske wajah se hai kya?"

"Ae mami, apni lambi zabaan apne paas rakh." Shiva pointed into Raavi's phone, turning it towards him.

"Maasi, please suno na! I need to talk to you..." Raavi croaked, and Shiva's attention was drawn towards the pain in her voice.

"Mai abhi police ko phone karti hu-"

"AE MAMI BAS! AB TU MERI BAAT SUN!" Shiva yelled, snatching the phone from Raavi's hand and slammed the door shut behind him as he left.

5 minutes later, Shiva entered the room and handed her phone back to her, swiftly leaving his room to give her some privacy.

20 minutes later, when Raavi had stepped out after explaining everything to her maasi, eyes and nose red due to all the crying, she found Shiva reading one of his textbooks.

"Thank you." She stood in front of him, her hands behind her back.

"Kyu?"

"Mujhe nahi pata tune maasi se kya kaha when you took my phone, par unhone meri puri baat suni, mujhe daata bhi nahi, meri side leke support kiya aur kaha ki Shiva se Kehne to keep an eye out for me." Raavi sat down in front of him, a small smile on her face.

"So, thank you. Warna woh meri baat sunti hi nahi, aur alag tangent pe chali jaati."

Shiva looked up from his textbook, and saw that the tension lines that were living in her forehead, had finally faded away.

"Maine aise kuch nahi kaha tere maasi se. Bas suna daala usko. Bohot bak bak karti hai woh, aur itna cheekhti kyu hai, mere kaan sunn pad gaye the." Shiva put a finger in ear and shook out the voice, for effect.

Raavi chuckled. "I know. Ab kya karu, maasi hai meri. Aadat ho gayi hai."

"Ab mai jaau mere kamre mein?" He stood up, and Raavi scooted aside allowing him to go.

"Shiva?" She softly called out to him.

"Kya hai ab?"

"Sacch bata, kya bola tune maasi se?"

Shiva sighed. He wasn't going to tell her that. "Tujhe janne ki zaroorat nahi hai. So jaa."

But he knew exactly why Mami had a change of behaviour.